Informational/observation post: Verdi-care

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think it has been responded to that the treatment will not adversely affect grading.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Well, cleaning would encompass everything if the term wasn't so unacceptable. Instead everybody gets their drawers in a knot as soon as the word is used. I understand it's for the benefit of new collectors but still it's a bit silly. Just my opinion.

Sunflower_Coins and Kentucky like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I mean... yeah, the coin was wiped/cleaned to begin with, so yeah, Verdi-Care didn't undo the cleaning. Just removed the verdigris and hydrated the dried out surface.

5. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

But it was cleaned, so forever tainting it. Wonder which is worse. before or after?

6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Verdi-Care is a terrific product for conserving copper/bronze coins. I can recommend it without reservation.

352sdeer, DEA, Stevearino and 3 others like this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That’s easy, cleaned, or cleaned covered in verdigris.

buckeye73, C-B-D and Paddy54 like this.
  8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I should read more carefully. :shame:

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Did you soak it in acetone after the Verdi-care?

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

No.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Wellllllll - that actually depends on what grading tier you submit the coins under. Use any of the regular grading tiers, yeah no problem, they'll get cleanly graded. (Assuming of course there are no other issues/problems with the coin.) Use the Secure Plus grading tier - nope, they won't.

And these two quotes go with the one above. Ya see, Verdi-Care even advertises that it leaves a "protective coating" on the coins. And that protective coating is very hard to see, so hard most graders will probably miss it - not even notice it's there. BUT - if the coin is submitted under the Secure Plus grading tier, then, and only under that grading tier, the coin is run through the "sniffer". And the sniffer picks up that protective coating - detects that it is there in other words - and the coin is rejected and put in a problem coin slab.

Stevearino, buckeye73 and alurid like this.
  12. Nathan401

This is valuable information, thank you!

13. Kentucky

This is valuable information, thank you!

Wellllll... the so-called sniffer is a surface analyzing FTIR, that would probably not respond to the thin film VerdiCare uses... eh @BadThad ?

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Analyzing what?

15. Nathan401

I was referring to Doug’s charge that only Secure Plus submissions get the sniffer. I’ve only submitted a couple coins, and always through someone else. This is all good stuff to know, thanks!

16. Kentucky

uh...the surface

17. Kentucky

alurid likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What you linked to is ATR, but the sniifer, as you yourself said is FTIR - big difference. And FTIR is extremely sensitive, right down to the molecular level. So any liquid film, no matter how thin, can and will be detected.

The following comes from Thermo Fisher Scientific -

"These advantages, along with several others, make measurements made by FTIR
    extremely accurate and reproducible. Thus, it a very reliable technique for
    positive identification of virtually any sample. The sensitivity benefits enable
    identification of even the smallest of contaminants."

http://tools.thermofisher.com/content/sfs/brochures/BR50555_E_0513M_H_1.pdf

The basics of FTIR -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier-transform_infrared_spectroscopy

19. Nathan401

Will it detect an acetone rinse?

20. Kentucky

no

Nathan401 likes this.
  21. Kentucky

bizzaro.jpg
    We have a few things here. Infrared spectroscopy examines materials by noting which wavelengths of IR radiation they absorb. I first ran IR's with a prism instrument (dark ages) and saw gratings come into use and the advent of the FTIR which made the technique faster and more sensitive. ATR is an attachment to an FTIR that allows the examination of opaque samples. I have used it and have cursed it for it's insensitivity. Try searching ATR or attenuated total reflectance. I think @BadThad could speak with more authority on this than I (or is that me...).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    -jeffB and wxcoin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted