Information on Pseudo Autonumous Provincial Issues

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Dec 8, 2016.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I was wondering if it might be possible for some members well versed in ancients to tell me about ancient coins issued in the eastern region of the Roman Empire circa 50-100 AD. I have recently run across this term with respect to Pergamum but cannot find a whole lot about them. If I have read correctly the images on these issue are personifications of Roma, and of all things. the Roman Senate. Thanks for any help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

4. kevin McGonigal

Thank you for the links and the images. Yes, that's what they look like and all seem to have on them a female deity which reads Thean Romen, a Roman goddess (Roma). I have been collecting ancients for decades and until today had never heard of these issues until I found one at a coin store in the bargain bin. What I'd like to find out is how these small bronzes fit into the model of Roman currency. Did they traffic as a Roman quadrans? Why, since they are in imperial times (most were issued mid First to mid Second centuries) did they not include the reigning emperor? Why are they said to be "pseudo" autonomous? What was false about them? The autonomy part or were they extra legally struck? Any other info appreciated.

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Pergamon enjoyed a great deal of autonomy as a city, although ultimately under the hegemony of the Romans. It was elevated to a metropolis during the reign of Hadrian, and eventually became the capital of the Roman province of Asia. Pseudo refers to the autonomy of the city during the 1st century in that it was inextricably bound to Rome despite enjoying a certain level of self-governance.

The coins were legally struck, and are indeed about the size of quadrantes. Were they traded on par with imperial quadrantes? Who knows - I'm not aware of any records from 1st-century Pergamon that give us any clues as to their value, but they were definitely "small change."

Here are a couple that I've owned...

pergamon 6.jpg pergamon 6a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    TIF, Mikey Zee, Ajax and 5 others like this.
  6. kevin McGonigal

Thanks for that info. Do you by any chance know the full inscriptions that are inscribed on both sides? Did any other municipalities beside Pergamum issue them? The coin on the top has what appear to be two masculine figures. I wonder which one is supposed to be Roma. Thanks, again.

7. John Anthony

Obv.: ΘԐON CYNKΛHTON; Laureate bust of Senate right.
    Rev.: ΘԐON PΩMHN; Bust of Roma with mural crown right.

I just realized my first image is incorrect - the sides should be switched.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  8. John Anthony

After a bit of searching, it's apparent that sources don't always agree on which sides are the obverse and reverse. I'm inclined to call Roma the obverse.

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  9. kevin McGonigal

Thanks again. I can't believe I collected ancients for so many years and knew nothing about these coins. I did find a few, very few, for sale on sites. Apparently one can pick up a decent copy for under $100. The most expensive one I saw was just over that figure. Thanks once more.

Draft saved Draft deleted