Information on my multi-struck penny please?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bmlewis, Jun 10, 2011.

1. actually acetone will too hurt a coin, for the collector that is, it does not deteriorate the coin but it will resurface it with a unnatural shine wich could or could not effect a value

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. but lucky for you i tried this last week ad everythings still holding,, thats what got me investigating this,, then i got the ïts epoxy then comment.. ps, i didnt "soak"the coin , if your going to do it its better to just pick a spot and use a q-tip soaked with acetone and just hold it there, it would work the same , i used to worked with varnishes and epoxy back when i worked on boats (grandbanks).. i understand the doubt though

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Prisoner Cent is just a Die Clash which shows on the field.. Not on the raised devices.

5. paddyman98

Nope.. Not a multistruck Cent.

jamie s pieper likes this.
  6. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Don't forget to use acetone in a well ventilated area.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Dude!!!! Your the expert. What do you care about what any of us lesser numismatists have to say. Send it to pcgs. If it is what you think it is its unlike any other and its worth huge money.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You may want to double check your chemistry regarding the effects of acetone on metals

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Too late for that considering what he believes!

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Assuming this to be an error the only way you could market it would be. To have it stabbed and attributed. Send it off soonest and let us see it in the slab. Best of luck.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Just send $30 to a worthwhile charity instead.

12. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

He's already posting it on another site trying to push it as an error.

13. Hahaha,, you guys are too funny,, i will keep trying until i get confirmation by a expert in errors, I took my coin to a dealer and was told i needed to find someone with more experience on this type of coin,,, I did get some better closer pictures , and check this out.. DSC01620.JPG DSC01611.JPG DSC01616.JPG DSC01615.JPG

Attached Files:

14. Well, I'm no chemist. But I know what my eyes tell me when they see something. And I've seen copper coins dipped in acetone for anywhere from 5 seconds to 60 seconds in ordinary room lighting turn just about every color of the rainbow. No they don't all turn colors right away, in fact they don't all turn colors - but the vast majority of them do - some sooner and some later.
    So, I don't recommend dipping copper coins in acetone. Take it for what's it worth.

15. HUGEEE!

16. device??? is this a continuum transfunctioner:joyful:

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You can see the layer of glue (or whatever) on the obverse in post #52.

18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Probably a good thing for you to avoid using acetone. If you're having numerous coins change color at different times, it sounds like you're technique needs work or you're using low purity chemicals

Depending on the type of glue\organic on your coin, it should come off with acetone or xylene without affecting the surface of the coin

19. paddyman98

No.. Still not a Mint Error o_O

20. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

With the new better pictures, 100% no doubt, certain, glue, not an error. Soak it in acetone, don't dab at it, it won't hurt it. Positively, glue.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted