Information on my multi-struck penny please?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bmlewis, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ITs NOT GLUE, what was found out about this coin, unrolled as of lastnight, HELP [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is likely clear ( the slight yellowish tint would not show up on copper) epoxy, thus you can't dissolve it with a normal solvent. To make it a positive image, you need a transfer die. Those can be easily made also. Notice the second image is only on the raised 'glue' blob and do not extend over the edge of the blob, so it is not a second contact with the real die. Who ever made it was lazy and used the same transfer tool to do the reverse . Hope you didn't buy it. IMO, Jim

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sorry, but it is.

JCro57 likes this.
  5. check out the "prisoner penny". i assure you its real just one of a kind rare

6. . Brassy plating errors occur when the plating solution is contaminated with too many zinc ions.

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

1979 was before they started making the copper plated zinc cents. 1979 cents were 95% copper 5% zinc. Your coin has glue, polyurethane or some other substance on it then other coins stuck to it.

jamie s pieper and Oldhoopster like this.
  8. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

This coin is impossible. There is 0 possibility that this is an error. Can i explain what it is? Yes. Do you or anyone else wanna hear it? Nope. IMPOSSIBLE

JCro57 likes this.
  9. that is correct, the yellow tint is actually coming from underneath it all from the center of coin

10. it is unbelievable but still not impossible, a "professional"
    would never quote that

11. A cent planchet dropped into place and was struck between hammer and anvil dies, but it was not ejected. Instead, it remained stuck inside the coining chamber, most likely adhering to the anvil die. A new planchet was fed into the press and it, too, was struck, though not by both dies. Instead it was struck by one die — the hammer, probably — and by the stuck cent, now serving as a die cap. This new cent failed to be ejected but was bonded to the first cent. New planchets were fed into the press one by one, over and over, with the same unintended result, as coins began to be bonded together in what was becoming a massive cluster of cents.

12. A multiple-strike 1979-D Lincoln cent die cap cluster was produced at the Denver Mint. It escaped the facility (though by all rights it should have been detected and if not resigned to the melting pot, at least kept within the confines of the granite structure at Colfax and Delaware streets, maybe for display for future visitors). However, such pieces can escape the Mint, a shown by this piece, which appeared in Stack’s Bowers Galleries’ Aug. 9, 2012, Rarities Night Auction as lot 11638.

13. there is supporting evidence describing this coin and how a few ëscaped the mint..
    here is also another unbelievably find from 1979 i doubt any of you know about,this sold at auction for 10k so why wouldent i believe this could be real

Attached Files:

14. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

You should definitely spend your money and have this rare one of a kind error authenticated!

jamie s pieper likes this.
  15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

There have been quite a number of coin thieves at the US Mint specializing in error coins for a very long time. As far as the 1979, you can see the glue on the pic. Here's a link of the last thief, the government took his homes and other property away from him. I guess they didn't want to bother with the thief paying restitution. :D

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...tences-mint-police-officer-to-prison.all.html

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The obverse and the reverse were both struck a second time with the reverse?

17. yes it looks to be struck 4 times total, here are a couple pictures i just worked up for a better idea due to it being in a picture, the close view of this coin is super amazing the, outlined head is there but not sure whats up with that

Attached Files:

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The problem is this.. If you look to the upper left of the Memorial Building the letters look backwards. If this was an actual normal strike it wouldn't appear like it does. So I don't think it's an error.

19. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Try soaking the coin in acetone, I suspect the "error" will disappear. The acetone will not harm the coin.

20. i dont want to say you are incorrect but i thought flipped over and backwards was the only correct form like this, there are others with the same stamps as i, just not as many all in one..and if im correct the other shadowed head i think would be a 10c roosevelt, i don't expect this to get figured out overnight, i appreciate all the tips :)

21. it would also 180

Draft saved Draft deleted