Information on my multi-struck penny please?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bmlewis, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bmlewis

bmlewis New Member

I have a 1991-D penny that has been struck multiple times but I would like to know the correct classification or term of this error. Also, the multiple strikes are mirror images, if you look on the reverse the "ONE CENT" is backwards, so I'm guessing this is caused by another penny/planchet being punched at the same time? If anybody can give me more information on this error and how it occurs, then I would really appreciate it. :smile Also, what would be the rarity of this error and are there links to other coins that have had this error?

Thank you very much!

PennyObverse.jpg
    PennyReverse.jpg

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dbkinvestments

dbkinvestments New Member

Wow! What a beauty. My guess is to say that this Lincoln would be very rare. Definate Brockage present, good luck on your findings.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood!

That's an awesome find. You should get in touch with Billy Crawford who publishes the online Die Variety News, and is also a member here. He might even want to use it in the next monthly issue.

Chris

PS. Billy's username here is DieVarietyNews.

5. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

Looks like glue to me.

Bate and alurid like this.
  6. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like it has glue on it. I don't think it's an error. It was once part of a 3 coin sandwich... and it was the middle.

I would try soaking it in pure acetone overnight because if it's truly in the metal this won't hurt a thing... but I suspect that in the morning you will have a nice shiny normal cent.

Bate likes this.
  7. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's a glue job.

8. bmlewis

bmlewis New Member

Thanks for the different input, I'll have to try the acetone then. Hope it's more than just a glue job, but if not I'll live to find another error sometime! =)

9. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

try this website to find the closes value of that error :) http://www.mikebyers.com/

10. LostDutchman

It's not an error.

11. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

Have you seen if it's glue yet???

12. bmlewis

bmlewis New Member

I'm about to try the acetone, but one question...is it acceptable to "wash" a coin in acetone? I've looked at other threads in the forums and there appear to be several threads on the topic. I understand it wont hurt the metal itself but is it "acceptable"?

13. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

Won't ruin a coin so I'd use it

14. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

That is a friendly introduction to a new face, but why the bad info on what is obviously a glue job. ??????

15. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

well, i think my eyes is not good to judge on his photograph....

16. bmlewis

bmlewis New Member

Ended up being the glue job. Oh well, I learned something new and thank you guys. I'll upload some pics of the after-acetone-bath coin in a bit so others can see what a glue job looks like before and after. It's all good because I have 6 or so off-centered pennies, was just hoping I'd have a more interesting find to add to my error coins.

Thanks again.

17. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

All ways happy to help

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

So doesn't that cent look slabbed in those first photos? I understand that if it was glue, and the owner gave it an acetone bath, it's obviously not slabbed.
    But maybe the first posters were under the impression that it was, as I was initially too.

19. bmlewis

bmlewis New Member

Here's a few pictures after the acetone bath.

PennyObverse2.jpg
    PennyReverse2.jpg

20. LostDutchman

Not quite the bright shiny cent I thought you would end up with... but close enough.

21. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I have actually circulated quite a few like that.
    My grandmother is into crafts and has taken her hot glue gun and stuck mounds of change to foam that she has cut into shapes.
    She made some fish like this, and when she was done displaying them, I peeled all the change loose from the foam and spent it.
    I tried to peel as much glue off as I could, but some pieces were just too much.
    The coins were also stuck to each other, and were very hard to get apart.
    They were all pocket change, ranging from 1c to 25c coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted