Information on 1926 P Winged Liberty dime DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NumisNerd, Apr 7, 2021.

1. NumisNerd

NumisNerd New Member

Hi,
    I've been researching the 1926 DDO WLD and have downloaded every photo, article and forum post I could track down, but haven't been able to find much recent information. Is this a relatively common error( say, 1941 P WLD DDO or below) and so not worth slabbing unless in an ultra high grade? From what I can surmise, PCGS doesn't recognize the variety, NGC shows 3 circulated examples in its census and the ANACS specimen seems to have crossed over to NGC. I know there is at least one high grade example from the photos on VV and DoubleDie.com, but beyond that, I'm getting zilch. Nothing shows on Ebay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

GH#75 likes this.
  4. NumisNerd

NumisNerd New Member

All I have right now are crappy scans. Arranging for a DSLR, so hopefully I will be able to post photos below in the next few days. Meantime I'll try to wrestle decent(?) photos from my junky Ebay clip on microscope. If I can get anything decent out of the "microscope", I'll post sooner.
    Right now I'm just looking for general information on the error (beyond what I've already gathered from scouring the internet) that I can add to the database (estimates of rarity, etc.). Got emails off to ANACS, NGC and PCGS. Awaiting replies.
    Thanks for reading and replying.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Your Welcome . Maybe some Pics with Cell Phone / cropped and Enlarged , Try A program ( free) Called LunaPic ( no download) . :)

6. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

The major error in mercury dimes is 1942/41. Its a 1942 dime stamped over a 1941. (see link) Its worth about $500 in average condition, so yeah, that would definitely be worth sending in. But if you find a less known error/double die, like a 1936 DDO, it wouldn't be worth sending in as it's not worth much. I would put it in a plastic coin holder if I found something like that, but definitely not send it in unless it was in MS+ condition.

http://www.varietyvista.com/06 Mercury Dime/1942PDDO001.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted