information about faded reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Erik Deetjen, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

Im a rookie collector and was curious if coins that have this fading reverse are errors.... I've seen a few coins like this. Where the letters are faded in a ring format. Is this a double die? Or was it seated bad when punched? I'm looking for educational help. I'm not sure if this has a certain name and if this is truly an error coin. Thanks in advance from the new guy. IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0978.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Coin rolling machine did that.

4. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

Thank you!! That totally makes sense!! I appreciate the answer and feel a bit silly. But, at least I know what I'm looking at now. Thanks again!!

5. Tyler Graton

Hey, dont worry, This was probably one of the first questions i had when i first started. No one is judging you here, or atleast not most people. We all understand. most people will say " its important to learn about the minting process before going into coins" or...

http://www.error-ref.com/part_xi_-_non_errors/

And this

http://www.error-ref.com/

The bar on your left side i would go through and see what are errors and what are not. P.S. it may take you a while to understand that this is what you really need to do. Overtime you may think you have an understanding of what errors are and what arent errors by just learning here on cointalk, doing that you may throw something back that you thought wasnt an error, but it really was.. Highly recommend you look at this all!

Erik Deetjen likes this.
  6. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Yes, welcome to CT. Tyler is right, there's a great group of people here. The only stupid question is the one you have and don't ask.

Erik Deetjen and Tyler Graton like this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Those letters were run over. The poor little things tried but they couldn't get out of the way. :)

Erik Deetjen and Tyler Graton like this.
  8. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

Really appreciate all the information!! Thank you

Tyler Graton likes this.
  9. Tyler Graton

My pleasure :) happy hunting

Erik Deetjen likes this.
  10. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

Would this be a dd reverse??? Also the mint mark looks as if it's doubled up. Very difficult to get a nice pic. Since they didn't do rpm in the later dates. Would it be a machine doubling? Just trying to get the right idea and not collect 5 cent nickels etc.. IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1057.JPG IMG_1043.JPG

11. Tyler Graton

That is die deteration doubling . I also encourage you to always post a separate thread for each coin. Like me and a lot of people here, I tend to ignore threads when I have answered questions here so I don't get constant notifications of something i have answered already. That give you more of a chance for people to see your new coin. I know it's a bit ridiculous, but in time you will learn why.

eddiespin and Erik Deetjen like this.
  12. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

Done deal! appreciate that. I have so many questions on so many coins I don't want to take over the news feed. But I definitely will start new files each time. I inherited my grandfathers collection and it's a completely new and exciting experience. I had no idea on coin collecting. But, it has taken over the living room and giving me plenty of restless nights trying to get everything organized and labeled. It's a absolute blast and I can't wait to pass it down through the generations.

eddiespin and Tyler Graton like this.
  13. Tyler Graton

I forgot to say. Die deteration is considered as worthless doubling. Notice how flat and shelf like it is. That means that the devices of the die have flattened due to constant pounding.

Erik Deetjen likes this.
  14. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

Yes absolutely! I have quite a few coins like this.... I need to experience myself enough so I can tell a true dd and not a ddd

15. Tyler Graton

Hey, like I said there are many people here very eager to help you. I don't see it being a problem posting different questions. No matter how many coins you have to ask questions about. We exist because we love helping and you will not have any problems with that. Only thing I suggest is to not post the same coin over and over.

Erik Deetjen likes this.
  16. Tyler Graton

17. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

18. Erik Deetjen

Erik Deetjen New Member

Also.... when looking at coins in front of me/is there a "kit" or anything like that the the everyday collector uses? I'm using a small flashlight and hand me down magnifying glass... I've noticed a few coins that weren't seen properly the first time.

19. Tyler Graton

Okay.. So say you have a 1945 D penny, that you think is a doubled die, Go to the Doubled die site, click Wheat pennies, find 1945 D. You will notice a bunch of pictures of different coins. Each coin resembles a Different die (die is what is used to strike the coin). So when you see WDDO- 001, You will notice how similar the devices ( devices meaning letters, numbers) look to your coin. So say this coin is your coin.. Go to the website i just gave you, and try to tell me what one this doubled die is. (Sometimes you can actually find coins that have been in circulation for many years, and they havent been discovered yet, so if you think your coin is a doubled die, and you cant find a match up, I would ask here.) But make sure you have a full understanding about what Mint damage (MD) Also, Read the description, There are Die markers that you can find if you are having troubles finding what doubled die it is. Some doubled dies look very similar, and the only thing that you can tell apart from eachother is the die markers.. IMG_0173.JPG

20. Tyler Graton

Also, Doubled dies, Are not the machine striking the coin twice, A doubled die is the die its self that is doubled from what i understand.

21. Tyler Graton

Well I would get a nice magnifying glass, one that has 10x or 20x, an adjustable lamps You know the kind that you see in pixar movies like toystory that jumps on the I? I would get one of those..

Draft saved Draft deleted