Inflation comes to U.S. gold commemorative coinage

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, Nov 28, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I just received the two gold coin set commemorating the 400th anniversary of the voyage of The Mayfower. The coins are quite beautiful ...

2020 Mayflower All.jpg 2020 Pilgrim $10 All.jpg

BUT I couldn't help but notice that the U.S. commemorative $10 gold coin now weighs 1/4 of an ounce. Previously the $10 gold commemorative coins had weighed .483 of an ounce. Now they are little bigger than the $5 gold piece.

Of course they had been made to the old standard, the issue price would have been well over $2,000.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Very Nice Coins . Very Nice ;)

johnmilton likes this.
  4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I noticed that too. The commems were always $5 so it threw me off. Then I see they’re calling the 1/4 oz AGEs $10 now. The 1/10th oz are $5. I don’t think they were ever given a denomination before.

5. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I think that the AGE series has had denominations since 1987; $50, 25, 10, and 5 respectively.

Garlicus likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I thought you had a dentist appointment on 'game day'...... devil.gif

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sorry.....must have been V-75.

8. johnmilton

I did for two days in a row, but they popped up on the Mint's Website again, and someone here was kind enough to point that out to me. Therefore I was able to buy a set because the temporary cap was in my mouth that morning. ;)

NSP and green18 like this.
  9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I knew they did I just didn't think the 1/10th had a denomination for some reason but I see it always did. Maybe this is why they changed the commemoratives.

10. johnmilton

No, I didn't want one of those. The $10,000 resale profit would nice, but the V-75 coin does absolutely nothing for me.

11. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Some wild prices out there for these coin(s) ( as for silver and gold ) . . .

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's because "technically" these are not commemorative coins. The law only allows two commemorative coin programs each year, and both of this years programs were filled with the Basketball and Womens' voting centennial.

To get around that problem they used the Secretary of the Treasury's' authority to use whatever design he wishes on the gold bullion coins of less than $50 denomination.

So technically these are part of the gold bullion coin program and the 1/4 oz gold bullion coins have a $10 denomination. The design just "happens" to honor the Mayflower landing and thus nicely getting around the two commemorative program law without the need of additional legislation.

They tried to use this once before to argue that it gave the Mint the legal authority to strike the gold Sac dollars since they used 1/2 oz gold bullion coin planchets. If they had made them gold Sac $25 coins they might have gotten away with it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

They do the same thing when they shrink chocolate bars and keep the price the same........:D

Draft saved Draft deleted