Inexpensive 1st century BC-AD coins Ephesus, Sardis, and Laodicea?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Dougmeister, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I already have my "go to guy" looking, but I thought I'd put this out there for everyone.

I've already contacted @John Anthony, @Valentinian, and Frank Robinson. I'm trying to search VCoins, but I'm still not used to their website.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm under a slight time crunch.

"Inexpensive" = <$50 per coin, better to be closer to $20/coin if that is possible.

Thanks, all!

I am doing a set from "The 7 Churches of Revelation", so it would be ideal if they were minted during the late 1st century AD, but if it makes it easier (or cheaper), as long as there was a good chance they were still in circulation at that point in time, that would be fine as well.

Edit: how about these? Are they from the proper time frame?

Ephesus, Ionia; Geta; € 9.00 + s&h

Sardis,Lydia € 12.00 + s&h

Sardis, Lydia; Claudius € 16.00 + s&h

Laodicea ad Mare. Domitian, 81-96 AD $27 + s&h

Laodicea ad Mare. Trajan. AD 98-117 $32 + s&h

Laodicea ad Mare. UNDER ROMANS, CIRCA 48/47 BC $32 + s&h

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Dougmeister likes this.
  4. Mike Margolis

5. Dougmeister

@Mike Margolis , thanks for the research!

But... aren't they all (with the exception of the Augustus coin) from the 2nd century AD and later?

1st (Ephesus) has Severus Alexander on it (Emperor from 222 to 235 AD)
    2nd (Lydia) Time of Caracalla (198 – 217 AD) through Gordian (238 AD)
    3rd (Laodicea) Antoninus Pius (reigned 138 – 161 AD)

(but nice prices!)

6. Mike Margolis

There is the Augustus and i think two others from Laodicia from c. 98 ce
    Most of the others I saw were way more than u want to spend,

Dougmeister likes this.
  7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

For first century Ephesus try Vespasian denariI. They are out of your price range but it will be almost contemporary with Paul and before Revelation was completed by John. Also significantly he destroyed the temple so you get 2 for 1.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/zu...ine_ephesus_mit_69__79_ce/308660/Default.aspx

Lots of early Ephesus bronze that may have been in circulation still, but in that price they will be rough. Here's one:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pr...hesos_circa_200190_bc__13/951643/Default.aspx

Dougmeister likes this.
  8. Jay GT4

9. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

You can always use coins from before the First Century AD, as earlier, especially copper and bronze, remained in circulation for long after they were minted.

Dougmeister likes this.
  10. Dougmeister

Thanks!

"Rough" is okay... as long as there is still some meat on the bone, I'm interested.

Is the Geta that I posted from the correct time period? It's not as nice as the one you posted, but it's cheaper...

11. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

What is the time range you specifically have in mind? That will vary depending upon when you date the book of Revelation and whether or not the letters refer to time contemporaneous with the writing of the book or to situations and circumstances earlier.

One of the reasons the book was antilegomenon in the early period was because many bishops had question about who was doing the writing and when (i.e. apostolic authority). That fact of itself would suggest the book may not have been written early.

One way to sidestep all of that, and still be faithful to the expectations of your intended audience, would be to accept a range of dates all the way up to canonization of the book.

So, your preference is ???

12. Dougmeister

The coins could have been minted in the 1st century BC (and still been in circulation), all the way up to the middle/late 1st century AD.

Does that answer your question?

Edit: after reading your post again, I think I will try to avoid coins minted closer to the time of canonization (5th century AD?). I think that *most* scholars would place the writing of the book of Revelation in the late 1st century, so that would be my cutoff (for now).

13. Jay GT4

Geta will be in the mid 2nd century so if your cutoff date is around 100 that's gonna be too late.

Just search "Ephesus" on vcoins and you'll see everything. You can sort by price and then just look at the dates.

Dougmeister likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Jay GT4 likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Dougmeister likes this.
  16. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Okay, now I think I know where you are coming from. Irrespective of what "most" scholars would say, conservative and otherwise, you are looking for something within the life span of the Apostle John. For that you must be prepared to put down some real money. Supply and demand, you know. You are not alone in wanting artifacts from the period of the New Testament, and the strength of that competition is measured in dollars and cents. Sad, perhaps, but true.

Roman provincials of the Flavian period for the seven cities will be the limits of your shopping, and if you want them then price cannot be a factor. Geta is much too late. In your list above you drew a line after Trajan, and that is being generous. For the limit you have stated, I would not go beyond the time of Domitian.

For earlier material you want first century Roman Provincial coins for the cities. Since time is of the essence, you should plan on anything up to $200 per coin for the short run. With a little more time you could take a wish list to the online auctions.

Jay GT4 likes this.
  17. Dougmeister

@lrbguy thanks for the info.

Does it help at all to get coins from the 1st century BC? I.e., not minted/contemporary with the Apostle John but perhaps still in circulation?

18. Jay GT4

Yes.

19. Dougmeister

In that case, I think that I'd be willing to go as early as you think they'd still be in circulation (100 BC?) to make the coins more affordable and be able to get them more quickly.

Any suggestions folks?

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would start by researching the existence of the items you want. I have not looked for these but would almost be surprised if all these cities had coins during the period. Some cities might have used issues of larger neighbors. The mention of these churches does not mean they were economic centers in their area.

dlhill132 and Dougmeister like this.
  21. Jay GT4

Take a look at the link to Forum's shop I posted. Even if you use that as a guide to find cheaper ones.

Dougmeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted