Indo-Scythian?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by H8_modern, Nov 9, 2018.

1. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I bought this a couple of weeks ago from a dealer who doesn’t normally deal with ancients. He had no ID on this but I thought it was interesting. With no real information to start with, I haven’t had much luck figuring out what it is. So now I’m coming to the experts.

AR, 2.75g, 14mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I told the dealer I liked the fleur de lis and was told those “definitely aren’t fleur de lis”

That was quick, thanks.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's a very interesting coin, @H8_modern , but I don't think it's Indo-Scythian. At least I've never seen anything like it when I've shopped for Indo-Scythian coins. I'm sure someone from the Forum will have some ideas.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I have this related coin, I like to dabble in struck "modern" coins. That's a neat little coin @H8_modern !

[​IMG]

Æ Doudou, 16mm, 4.0g, 12h; c. AD 1720-1837 Obv.: Fleur de lis. Rev.: 3-line Tamil legend, naming the mint: Pu du / ch e r / i Reference: KM 35

H8_modern and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

One of my interests is modern coins produced with ancient techniques, hand-engraved dies, hammered strikes, etc. That's a great example of the genre.

H8_modern and dougsmit like this.
  8. Nice coin and an unusual reverse! It looks like a double-fanam struck in India under French rule. The mint was probably Pondichery, near Madras.

Draft saved Draft deleted