Indo-Scythian?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by H8_modern, Nov 9, 2018.

1. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I bought this a couple of weeks ago from a dealer who doesn’t normally deal with ancients. He had no ID on this but I thought it was interesting. With no real information to start with, I haven’t had much luck figuring out what it is. So now I’m coming to the experts.

AR, 2.75g, 14mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I told the dealer I liked the fleur de lis and was told those “definitely aren’t fleur de lis”

That was quick, thanks.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Biblical Kingdoms Supporter

That's a very interesting coin, @H8_modern , but I don't think it's Indo-Scythian. At least I've never seen anything like it when I've shopped for Indo-Scythian coins. I'm sure someone from the Forum will have some ideas.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I have this related coin, I like to dabble in struck "modern" coins. That's a neat little coin @H8_modern !

[​IMG]

Æ Doudou, 16mm, 4.0g, 12h; c. AD 1720-1837 Obv.: Fleur de lis. Rev.: 3-line Tamil legend, naming the mint: Pu du / ch e r / i Reference: KM 35

H8_modern and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian Supporter

One of my interests is modern coins produced with ancient techniques, hand-engraved dies, hammered strikes, etc. That's a great example of the genre.

H8_modern and dougsmit like this.
  8. Stuart Williams

Stuart Williams New Member

Nice coin and an unusual reverse! It looks like a double-fanam struck in India under French rule. The mint was probably Pondichery, near Madras.

Draft saved Draft deleted