Indo-Scythian Collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Biblical Kingdoms Supporter

Greetings CTAF friends...
    ...I'm taking a break from Judaean coins for a while and concentrating on one of my other favorites—Indo-Scythians. My most recent acquisitions are the three in the bottom row.

INDO_SCYTHIAN_POSTER.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    randygeki, TheRed, DEA and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Supporter! Supporter

Great coins @Deacon Ray I especially like the Azes and Azes II tets.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Well done!

ominus1 and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES! Supporter

Great lookin' group @Deacon Ray! I love that Maues Helios drachm, that is killer!

Here's an rough Indo-Scythian AE square I reshot a while back. I think this is Azes, I may see the "Y" in AZOY in the Greek legend...but I"m not sure. Honestly, I don't even know where to look in the Karoshthi legend. Could be Azilises?

100_5922.JPG

Indo-Scythian AE, 1st Century BC

O: King on horseback, Greek legend. R: Hercules on rocks with club. Karoshthi legend. 20 mm, 6.9 g.

randygeki, TheRed, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  6. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Very nice collection, and very attractively presented !

I do have some doubts though on your use of the "Ohm" symbol in your avatar as a logo for this category. The Indo-Scythians flourished between roughly the second century BC to the third century AD. The Ohm symbol you use is a ligature in Devanagari script which came into use somewhere in the 11th century AD. "Ohm" as a sacred mantra was known before that in both Hinduism and Bhuddism. But for the Indo-Scythians, the symbol you use whould have no meaning at all.
    As a possible alternative you might look at the "triratna". This is a bhuddist symbol which was actually used on coinage of the era.

Anthony

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Thank's for the excellent advice, Anthony! I'm here to learn and still a beginner.

Also—I noticed you're from Amsterdam. I love the Netherlands I studied there when I was in art college many years ago :artist:. All of my favorite artists were from there—Bosch, Bruegel, Rembrandt, Van Gogh, the Vermeers, Escher....and on and on and on and on

THCoins likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

a change is good for the soul D Ray :)..i have a few Indo-Greek coins. heres, i believe, a small silver coin of Hermaios, (is this the one you have listed as an Ae Azes ll?) the last Indo Greek ruler 40-1 BC. i remember there was some debate if these coins were actually minted by him or another entity either during his reign or afterwards. Indo Greek bust coin 001.JPG Obverse:bust of Hermaios right. Reverse:Zeus seated on throne(included but not enlarged)

Attached Files:

9. Deacon Ray

Yes. @ominus1 ! I need to re-label my coin. The dealer description says it's a: Hermaios of Bactria Imitation from 20 BC. Many thanks.

ominus1 likes this.
  10. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Great you already managed to implement a triratna as alternative logo !
    Will see if i can find a coin at home that clearly shows one.

The concentration of art here in the Netherlands is something we usually take for granted, but is special. And indeed, Amsterdam is a good place to live, and that not only because of art !

ominus1 and Deacon Ray like this.
  11. TheRed

TheRed Supporter! Supporter

Great coins and another impressive presentation @Deacon Ray The Azes tetradrachm is my favorite of the group, followed by the Azes II Hexachalkon.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted