Featured Indo Sassanian - The Evolution of the Gadhaiya Paisa

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

I do have a little battle scene coin...Offset down showing the details of the rider more...
    1-20180307_BATTLE-TOGETHER.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EkaBrahmana

EkaBrahmana New Member

1. Gurjara was the name of ancient Janapada, while Gujjar is a term for nomadic buffalo herders (derived from Gau-chara). There is no evidence of the Pratiharas being of central Asian origin. Also- most Gujjars are found in the Punjab-Kashmir area followed by Eastern Rajasthan. The Chavdas were also not Gujjars.
    2. Gujjars themselves have their own langauge which has no Iranic or Turkic influences in it, but Eastern Rajasthani influences in it. AFAIK, the first Pratihara rulers to mint Indo-Sassanian coinage was Mihira Bhoja. I do not think there is any of Nagabhatta, Devaraja, Vatsaraja, o Nagabhatta ii (correct me if I am wrong).

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I just received 3 new Gadhaiya Paisa coins from Frank Robinson today. I'm not at all knowledgeable with these coins but I really do like the designs. I'm thinking they are all different variations of 1.4.3 based on @Finn235 's earlier posts but I'm not 100% sure.

IMG-8521-removebg-preview.png IMG-8516-removebg-preview.png IMG-8514-removebg-preview.png

5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Very nice adds! The middle one is definitely 1.4.3 and is special in that it shows the entire bottom of the obverse die, including the tiny "bowtie" shoulder pads.

The bottom I'm pretty sure is early in 1.4.4 - it looks like it's probably smaller in diameter than the middle one, and less of the design is on flan.

The top is certainly mid/late 1.4.4 - you can see enough detail below the portrait to tell that it no longer has shoulder pads, just rows upon rows of the necklace.

Spaniard and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I see I have 18 of those Gadhaiya Paisas. Maybe when I have the energy I will use the info provided here to classify them better. Thanks for the great write up!

Finn235 likes this.
  7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I am reviving this thread with a coin that has me a bit stumped. I am hoping that those on this thread might offer suggestions for more information. It is ex-@EW3 so I am hopeful. It seems quite unusual for its high copper content and heavy weight compared to any of the coins shows so far. Although it was dated by the seller as circa 9th century, I would have guessed later - more 12-13th century. It also seems to resemble billion coins from Malwa. The Deyell D reference has so far eluded me.
    Chalukyas of Gujarat 9thC.jpg
    Indo Sasanian, Chalukyas of Gujarat
    , circa 9th Century AD, Base AR Gadhaiya Paisa
    Size: 13-15mm, 4.7g
    Obv: Indo-Sasanian style bust to right, sun and moon above
    Rev: Stylized fire altar, sun above left, crescent moon above right
    Reference: Deyell D 156 - 159
    Note:
    "Base AR" means a very weak silver-copper alloy - I am not sure there is any silver to be found here
    Provenance: ex-private German collection, ex-Tye York UK

+VGO.DVCKS, Johndakerftw and TuckHard like this.
  8. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I would attribute it as Deyell 160: "Vaghelas of Gujarat. Anonymous (c. 1210-1300). Billon. Last coin of the 'Gadhaiya Paisa' series. Same as 159 but very crudely executed and mostly copper." Deyell 159 is attributed to the Chaulukyas, c. 1120-1210.

[edit] I can't say whether there is in reality an absolute distinction between 159 and 160 or if the difference is more subjective with a sliding scale, so to speak.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    +VGO.DVCKS, TuckHard and Sulla80 like this.
  9. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Exceptionally - since this so obviously pertains to me- I will add a comment

Since I sold a long way over 100,000 coins in my time I obviously do not recollect this piece – but the Deyell attribution above looks correct to me. My guess is that it a late common version which was intrinsically copper but originally silver plated. It is not on my reckoning the last of the series, a few years after Deyell went to print a group of rather well made but more stylised coins came on the market that seemed to be plain copper without even plating. Those are of course not in Deyell (1990).

In general however I am afraid I have given up on this group. Nothing at all wrong with the moderation here (unlike the dreadful World of Coins). However there are a small number of very vocal members here who are more interested in peddling various forms of “identity politics” than thinking fair mindedly in an objective scientific sort of way. That in itself is no surprise. My disappointment stems from the fact that next to nobody ever stood up against that sort of bullying. That was the crux of my problem with the group

Rob T

Spaniard likes this.
  10. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice example!

It's important to note that especially with these anepigraphic issues, it may be a but too rash to attempt to assign them to a particular dynasty, let alone to a ruler. The attribution to the Vaghelas is an educated guess, nothing more.

To the coin itself, 4.7g is about 0.2g over the average - and from the looks of it, the coin may have some encrusted dirt that would account for the extra weight. I would have to check Maheshwari again, but silver fineness is somewhere under 10%, although the flan was apparently worked to bring out the silver, like 3rd century antoninianii. The final appearance depends on both the original state of conservation, and on how much the seller is willing to risk completely pickling the coin.

I recently picked up a bunch of these out of an apparent hoard, this is about average appearance once properly cleaned ZomboDroid 08022021100739.jpg

Spaniard, Johndakerftw and Sulla80 like this.
  11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

thanks for the added information!

thanks & I have to say that I liked the unpickled patina...

Rob T, thanks for the notes and I suppose it is forgivable that you don't remember all 100000 coins that you have sold :) I hope you don't completely give up on the group. Thoughtful, informed exchanges on coins and history are one of the main reasons I come to read and post. Your voice and expertise are much appreciated.

Spaniard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted