Indo Parthian or persis?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mani, Apr 25, 2018.

1. mani

mani Junior Member

I have 10 years this coin but I coudnt recognize in which era or king it is. I Doubt between indo partian ( sanabares) and oxathres ( persis coin). what is your Opinion/ thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      118.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Interesting! I think it is Indo-Parthian, based on the design (I don't think the seated archer reverse occurs on coins of Persis) and also metal (bronze is rare for Persis but the usual metal for India-Parthian). But, what's weird is that the archer on your coin is clearly facing left, and every Into-Parthian of Sanabares and successors I have ever seen has the archer facing to the right. Possibly a contemporaneous imitation of India-Parthian by somebody who mirrored the reverse? Anyone else have an idea, or know some similar published coin with this reverse?

mani and Alegandron like this.
  4. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Indeed interesting. It could be imitative but, then, all of these issues were pretty crude. I'd probably catalog it as a Sellwood 93.5 (Shore 478) variant based on the left-facing archer.

5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I know nothing about Indo-Parthian coins, but I do know something about the coins of Persis, where the inscriptions are in Aramaic and generally did not circulate much beyond that portion of the Parthian Kingdom other than Persis itself. Your coin does not appear to have Aramaic script. Whatever it turns out to be, I don't think it will be Persis.

mani likes this.
  6. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Not sure, but based on life of Muhammed ? Iran ? 1930's modern coin ?

7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Your reverse is facing in the opposite direction as all of the Sanabares examples I have seen, so I may be off base. There is a huge variety of style in the cones of Sanabares.

This is what your coin reminds me of:

Gondopharid Dynasty. Sanabares or Sanabares II. Usurper, Local ruler of Merv, circa 50-65 AD or 2nd century AD. Æ drachm, 13mm
    Mint: Margiane, undated
    Obv: bareheaded bust left, tapering beard, hair billowing but no distinct waves or symbols; wears diadem.
    Rev: archer seated right with bow, behind thrown symbol/tamgha of Vologases.
    Shore 477-483. Sellwood 93.
    cf. PRE-ISLAMIC ASIA & NORTH AFRICA » Iran » Parthians » Eastern Iran » local rulers of Merv and Khorasan,
    cf. http://www.parthia.com/sanabares.htm

What do you think?

Pellinore and mani like this.
  8. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

9. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

If it is unpublished submit it to KOINON!

It need not be the coin’s owner that submits, so long as permission to use the photo is granted.

https://koinonjournal.wordpress.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted