Indian Temple Tokens

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by spiraltreet, Jan 20, 2007.

1. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Here's the only one I have that I "think" is a temple token.

Ribbit :)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

fascinating it shows how the design eveolved

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

they are based on the scenes from the epic ramayana. i could tell u what they were but it would make no sense unless u read the book

5. Arminius

Arminius Junior Member

Thanks!

But i collect coins - not books. ;)

6. nadem

nadem nadem

hi plz help me i have some islami old coins [​IMG]like this i want to sale them any bu\ody interasted ? plz riply me i am from karachi pakistan.thnx

7. 7sanni7

7sanni7 Junior Member

[​IMG]
    hellO.. anyone know about this coin???....if u know then tell me... 7sanni7@gmail.com dhis ma id..... =]

8. Arminius

Arminius Junior Member

Where is the coin?

9. 7sanni7

7sanni7 Junior Member

with me.. i hav a 2 coinz.........

10. 7sanni7

7sanni7 Junior Member

11. Pick-a-nik

Pick-a-nik Junior Member

I picked up a token a few years back, didn't know anything about it at the time, it just looked like a cool old coin to me. Do you think it is a reproduction or the real thing?

Attached Files:

12. bukwild

bukwild Junior Member

Can anyone help me identify this coin? From reading the discussions, it looks like a temple coin. Any info would be useful such as authenticity, date, translation, approximate value, history?...Thanks! BTW, I found it with a collection of Indian coins.[​IMG]

13. ALRIK

ALRIK Junior Member

information ramatanka

----------------------------------------------------------
    [FONT=&quot]Indian temple tokens of this type called ramatankas, were used as Hindu festive gifts and votive offerings at temples.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]While silver remained relatively inexpensive and routinely used for coinage, ramatankas and other temple tokens continued to be made in silver, with varying degrees of fineness. After World War I the use of silver for coinages was restricted and temple tokens more and more came to be minted in brass with a silver coating. By the second quarter of the 20th century they were made solely in brass and other copper-based alloys of lower grades. Some were crudely cast rather than struck from dies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]THE 'DUBAR' SCENE (Ram Dubar)
    Designs on all ramatankas were inspired by scenes from the great Hindu epic, the Ramayana (meaning Rama's journey). This tells the story of Rama’s banishment, exile and eventual triumphant return to his claim his kingdom at Ayodhya. Dubar scenes on ramatankas always include the main characters of the Ramayana – Rama, his wife Sita, his half-brothers Lakshman, Baratha and Satrughra. The monkey god Hanuman, a loyal devotee of Rama is always there as well, giving devotion to Rama. Hanuman played a central role and provided invaluable assistance to Rama.

During his coronation celebrations, Rama sits on a platform (dubar) while to his right sits Sita. Lakshman, his half-brother, stands to the far left holding the royal parasol. Opposite right are Rama’s other half-brothers, Baratha and Satrughna. Hanuman god sits or kneels beneath the platform offering prayers and devotion to Lord Rama.

The smaller coin shows minor variations such as the addition of an attendant standing behind Lakshman and Satrughna holding a cooling fan or fly-whisk.

The Dubar scenes on the coins photographed are a simplified version showing only the six main characters. Earlier versions on temple tokens were more crowded showing several attendants and sometimes inscriptions. From the early 18th century inscriptions rarely accompanied the Dubar scene.

REVERSE SIDE - RAMA & LAKSHMAN
    The two figures on this side are Rama with his half-brother and inseparable companion, Lakshman. They are always shown holding their bow and arrows, sometimes a trident as well (as in these coins). Both were legendary in their archery skills.

Around the edge is a Devanagari inscription invoking names from the Ramayana. A rough translation reads ‘rama ladamana janaka jabala hanamanaka’ but there are also many corrupted variations of the same. ‘ladamana’ refers to Lakshman, ‘janaka’ was king Janaka, father of Sita, ‘jabala’ was Jambavat, king of the bears who helped Rama on his way to Lanka and ‘hanamanaka’ refers to Hanuman, the monkey god.[/FONT]

14. ALRIK

ALRIK Junior Member

=========================================

The Ramayana (Rama’s journey) is one of the great ancient Indian Hindu epics believed to have originated as far back as 400 BC. It centres around the adventures of it’s main hero, Rama. The epic is more than an adventure story, it is a highly moralistic tale full of allusion that can be interpreted as instruction for what is right and wrong behaviour. The words and deeds of the gods and characters in the Ramayana represent the classic battle between good and evil, where good triumphs in the end.

The Ramayana reminds me of Homer’s Western literature epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey. Like the Ramayana, the Iliad and Odyssey are hero centred around the main character, Odysseus. Homer’s epics recount Odysseus’ journey, his trials with the gods, demons, monsters and eventual return home to reclaim his kingdom in Ithaca.

The Ramayana beings with King Dasaratha who ruled his kingdom from the capital, Ayodhya. He had three wives but no son and heir to carry on his dynasty. After many years of prayer and sacrifice and desparate to have a son, his wives give birth to four sons! Kausalya gave birth to Rama, being the eldest was destined to be first in line for the throne. Kaikeyi gave birth to Bharata then Sumitra gave birth to the twins, Lakshman and Satrughna.

Rama and Lakshman were the closest and grew up together as inseparable companions. Both were highly skilled in the military arts, especially that of the bow which has relevance in the Ramayana. Rama and Lakshman are represented on the reverse side of these coins with their bow and arrow.

Rama married Sita and they lived at Ayodhya. Now aged, Dasaratha choose Rama to succeed him as king but his second wife Kaikeyi, through intrigue and deceit, compromised the king and had him promise to make her son Bharata become king instead. She also demanded that Rama be banished to the forests for fourteen years. Rama believed he was morally bound to this state of affairs and left for the forests. Sita was asked to stay but insisted that she accompany Rama as did his companion and half-brother, Lakshman. Within a week of Rama’s departure king Dasaratha had ‘conveniently’ died.

During these events Bharata was away and shocked to learn of what happened but reluctantly acceded to the situation. Immediately, Bharata left for the forests to seek out Rama to beg for him to return and accept his rightful throne. Having found him, Rama refused saying he was honour-bound to remain and complete his fourteen year exile. So Bharata returned and promised to rule Ayodhya as regent until Rama’s return, learning from the advice Rama gave him.

Much of Rama’s exile involves adventure, intrigue, battles and victories over those gods and demons hostile to him. At the same time he had met other friendly gods who understood Rama’s greatness so they remained as loyal allies.

A turning point in the saga comes when Rama, Sita and Lakshman were tricked by cunning and guile with the purpose of abducting Sita. Sita was taken to Lanka (Sri Lanka) and held captive by the 10-headed demon-king Ravana where he tried to persuade her to become his wife. Sita remained faithful to Rama.

Rama with Lakshman decided to seek out Ravana’s kingdom and recover his wife. On their journey they met the monkey-king, Sugriva and understanding each other’s situation formed an alliance. King Sugriva sought Rama’s and Lakshman’s help to recover his kingdom from his half-brother, Bali and in return would assist Rama to recapture Sita and defeat Ravana. Bali was killed and king Sugriva recovered his kingdom. True to his word, Sugriva raised a mighty army of monkeys then led Rama and Lakshman onwards to Lanka. Hanuman, an ambassador of Sugriva found out where Sita was being held captive and told her of Rama's plans. Sita became convinced when Hanuman gave her the signet ring presented by Rama. Hanuman eventually made his way back after causing much chaos in Lanka and informed Rama of everything.

A bridge was built and Rama with the monkey army crossed over to Lanka. Ravana’s army led by his sons had met in battle. Both sides suffered hugh losses. Eventually, Ravana’s sons were killed and their army defeated. So it came down to single combat between Ravana and Rama. After a long and fierce combat Ravana was killed, there was great rejoicing throughout the land having being delivered from his tyrannical rule.

Thereafter, the saga takes another turn after Rama and Sita are reunited. Their marriage was tested by doubt. Rama believed, or that others would believe, his wife Sita may have been unfaithful with Ravana during her long captivity. Sita felt publicily humiliated by this cruel rejection and was determined to prove herself innocent of Rama’s accusations so underwent the fire ordeal. If pure and innocent as she claimed the fire god Agni would protect her, Lakshman prepared the pyre. To everyone’s horror, including Rama’s, Sita threw herself onto the flaming pyre. But Agni delivered her from the flames unhurt and hand-in-hand he presented Sita to Rama. Rama was overjoyed but in his heart believed Sita’s innocence all along and had to go along with the ordeal to persuade his followers of her purity.

The exile was over and so Rama, Sita, Lakshman together with many monkey generals, including Hanuman, entered Ayodhya in triumph. Amid great celebrations, Rama was crowned king in a ceremony (the ‘Dubar Scene’ as depicted on the coins above).

15. Arminius

Arminius Junior Member

16. oldecurb

oldecurb Junior Member

This token appeared a few threads back but I don't remember anything about when it was produced. I understand the date on it says 1700 but is that the true coin date. How recent is it. To me it looks more silver than cupro

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. oldecurb

oldecurb Junior Member

Anyone help with this please

18. HAGGLUNDBV206

HAGGLUNDBV206 Junior Member

help with temple tokens

Anyone know anything about these 2 tokens? I know they're temple tokens but I don't know age, value or composition.

Thanks,
    Shane

Attached Files:

19. 7sanni7

7sanni7 Junior Member

coin 1 front [​IMG]coin1 back [​IMG]

coin2 front [​IMG]coin2 back [​IMG]

if anyone know about this coin.plzzz give some details about this coin...

20. LinZi

LinZi New Member

More Interesting Designs and Variations of Temple Tokens

Hello All!

I got these Temple Tokens in Bodh Gaya Bihar in 2005. I didn't know if they were "real" but I doubted due to the dates on many of them. I recently found them again (packed away in storage for a long time) and wondered if I could find out the story about them. Regardless, I think them very interesting and enjoy the designs a lot. I have a group with backs made to look like East India Company Coins:

The psuedo "one anna coin" has the Goddess Durga on it. The other side is a copy of the East India logo with the year 1818.

Durga 01.jpg Durga 02.jpg

Below I have a GIANT "Two Anna" temple token with Hanuman. His face is a little squished in and the East India copy on the back has a lot of issues. If any, I would guess this one to be most recent.
    Below also is the face of Saraswati coin I have. This coin is lighter in color than the others and lighter as well. It also looks like it have fake "old" scratches on it.

I will attach more photos in the next.

P.S. I have no idea what any of these are made out of. I am guessing bronze or copper or some such, but other people's ideas would interest me!

Attached Files:

21. LinZi

LinZi New Member

Additional Temple Tokens

In the post above I attached photos of my Hanuman, Durga, and Saraswati Temple Tokens. In addition to these I have Shiva, and lastly a completely different coin.

The Shiva "half anna" coin has the God Shiva (Shiv) on one side, with his trident. The other has the East India logo and proclaims to be from 1844 (the only one with out a repetitive date-- the other dates are all 1818 or 1616-- I wonder if these kinds of numbers are considered auspicious for any religious reasons-- or perhaps just to fool possible purchasers?)

While four of the five coins have pseudo East India Company on the opposite side-- including a variety of dates such as 1818, 1616, and 1844, the last coin does not have a "East India Company Side".
    One side shows a similar (but different style) of the Rama Tanka coins-- two figures seated under an umbrella (sounds like Rama and Sita according the othe designs), a figure kneeling below (Hanuman, I suppose) and four additional figures on the sides. Moons and stars dot the sky. The opposite side does not match the other Rama Tankas I have seen though. It has a Hanuman design (again, somewhat crude) and also says the following in Hindi script:

"Raja Ram Sitalvat Vijay Hanuman 1214"

This last coin I am especially curious about. Though obviously a temple token as well-- I am curious why the design is similar, yet obviously so different. I wonder if the words mean anything-- such as what temple it might have come from-- or if it's look and design simply denote a very modern "fake". (in quotes since it appears none of these temple tokens were official per-say
    Hanuman Rama Sita token 01.jpg Hanuman Rama Sita token 02.jpg Shiva 01.jpg Shiva 02.jpg ).

Any feedback appreciated!

Draft saved Draft deleted