Indian Temple Tokens

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by spiraltreet, Jan 20, 2007.

1. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

As mentioned above, the diamond shape on reverse reads "La Illa, Ill-Allah, Muhammad ur-rasul Allah". And it translates to "There is only one Allah and Muhammad is his prophet only". On 4 corners, there are 4 Khalipha's (i.e. caliphs) names as mentioned by giladzuc.

On Obverse, it's a prototype of Akbar's silver rupee minted in Ahmedabad mint. The first two lined has Kings name with his title and year when it was struck. The last line read "Jarb Dar-ul-sultanat Ahmedabad" which translates to "struck in holy city of Ahemedabad".

Most of these are qualified as contemporary tokens which were minted during the time when original coins were in circulation. Most of these were used as religious charms by both, Hindus and Muslims,in that region.

There are modern fabrications available with similar token designs but most of the new tokens are struck on thin planchets and with a reduced silver weight. They have a newer look and the calligraphy is very different then the contemporary issues. And I think the purpose for these newer issues is same as to the old issues, which is to sell these in front of mosques and to be used in religious purposes.

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

This is very similar to the other token except the date on obverse is strange. The date on token is AH 943 but the numeral 4 is not defined as it is supposed to be on an Akbar coin (maybe a result of an in-experienced die-cutter)

You are also correct that these tokens were used in Hindu temples too. Usually a Muslim token will not be used in a Hindu temple and vice-versa. However Akbar wanted to remove the barrier between Hindus and Muslims in that region and for that reason he married with a Hindu princess named Jodhabai. Most of the learned members in his court were Hindus and there were not much differences in two religions in those days.

So, it should not be surprising that these tokens were used in Hindu temples also in those days.

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

4. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Many thanks to all for the history and translation of that Akbar token. It has had me puzzled for years! :)

If it was contemporaneous with the reign of Akbar (1556 -1605 AD) it's even earlier than I had thought. I always thought I did ok for buying it for £5. Now I think that i did exceptionally well. All that history and education....and i've still got the coin as well. Can't be bad.

Ian

5. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

This is a famous Indian temple token also known as Ramtanka (literal meaning is 'Money of/for Ram')

Ram is a Hindu god and the top image on your token depicts a very popular Hindu theme known as "Ram ka Darbar" (i.e. Ram's Court). In the image, it is shown that Ram and his wife Sita is sitting on thorn. His three brothers, Lakshman, Bharat and Shatrughan, are standing on his sides and his devotee Hanuman (the monkey god) is sitting near his leg.

In second image, the two standing figures are Ram and Sita. The edge legends reads "Ram Lakhan Janki, Pavan Sut Hanuman" and it translates to "Ram, Lakshman and Sita with devotee Hanuman". Also at the bottom, the date is written as AD 1740. This is a frozen date for all temple tokens from that era.

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

6. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

The silver ramtanka you posted looks pretty new to me. The date is not 1740 and reads 1700. Also, instead of Ram's wife Sita sitting on thorn, it looks like the monkey god is depicted there. Also, the color looks like it's a silver plated token on a coppery core.

Regarding selling these tokens to collectors, I assume you don't think it's a problem. Of-course if it is priced reasonably. And I think most of these temple token in base metal sell for couple of dollars. So, no intentions of cheating any collectors is associated with these tokens. It's a collector's decision to either buy it or not.

I see it like, collectors in US collects Franklin Mint (and many others) tokens and collectors in India collect these temple tokens.

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

7. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

First of all, I use a flat bed scanner. Because of that the token has its unusual look. Ballabh, you may be very well versed in identifying those tokens. But even in South India, some new collectors are being fooled by those tokens, especially those with the denominations. One of my cousins, who is also a doctor, bought couple of those tokens for Rs.400/- each, from Bangalore. He was told that these are extremely rare coins which were minted way back some centuries. And recently, one of my friends in Poland did commit the same mistake. And thanx a lot for commenting on these. I hope you would be posting very often in this forum.
    best regards, Biju

8. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

Hello guys... here's an ebay item which is intended to cheat the coin lovers... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200094615476&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com.au%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D200094615476%26fvi%3D1 I've reported this item to the ebay.. But I made the blunder of mailing couple of bidders... Now, the seller threatens me... This is not a coin at all.. Its a temple token ofcourse... And I dont think this belongs to the 17th C. What do you think Ballabh? [​IMG]

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Biju,that is a pure fantasy masquerading as a temple token.

Aidan.

10. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

It surely is a recently struck token. I think you did fine by e-mailing the bidders and warning them about the reality of this token. Telling the truth is not blunder. So, don't worry.

And don't be threaten by the seller. You told him the truth and some people don't like it.

And if the highest bidder doesn't listen and buys this token, well, for him all I can say "A fool and his money will soon be separated".

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

11. yarm

yarm Junior Member

12. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Yes, it is a recent fabrication.

There is no British Indian coin with this design and this should be treated as temple token minted in last decade.

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

13. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Nice coin !

14. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

The ebay doesn't seem to bother about this obvious fake.. eventhough I reported this item.. [​IMG]

15. deanlowell

deanlowell New Member

Temple Token 18th-19th century? HELP!

HELP !
    I have a coin I found in the jungle of Borneo in the 70's. I have reached many people all over the world to translate it for me. I was told it was a coin then a medallion now a temple token. No One seems to know its history or origin. I'm at my end .
    Then i was referred to this site where someone out there would know. ANY HELP would be appreciated.
    We know it is BRONZE and was told it was 18th or 19th century temple token. But no one ever could be sure. i was told that it must be very rare. But, this too is uncertain.
    i have many photo's of it and have sent them world wide , to no avail.

Attached Files:

16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Here's an India temple token I have had since the 1960's when I
    would pick up coins from dealers foreign coin "junkboxes":

[​IMG]

Size: 29mm

I only identified it as a temple token recently, from a post similar
    to this one.

:eek:dd:

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yea i got it as a 5 yr old and i thought this was my first really really ancient and expensive coin :D

18. rajan54

rajan54 New Member

I have such token coin with names of ram,lachhman,janaki and hanuman.The number written on the coin are 125525.what is its price.
    rajan54

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

the price is whatever you paid for it

20. Mohammad Shabbi

Mohammad Shabbi New Member

21. Arminius

Arminius Junior Member

A bigger one

This temple token is somewhat bigger than the usual ones.
    Can someone tell me about the scenes and origin of this specimen?

India,
    "Ramatanka" (Hindu religious 'temple token' or votive piece, white metal or very debased silver) (26 mm / 23,80 g),

Thanks

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted