Indian Heads Cents... Let's see what ya got...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Mar 23, 2018.

1. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Such a great series. Here is my current type example I've posted here before. One of my favorite coins.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I don't have anything high grade but I do have this rotation error.

NHUSA025.jpg

lordmarcovan, dwhiz, Eduard and 4 others like this.
  4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

Paddy54, dwhiz, Eduard and 1 other person like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This is why a post as such is so important.....it educates all of us,it puts a fire under YN's ,and those new to the hobby collectors. Keep posting ...your post are key to which keeps this hobby alive and interesting.
    I betcha from this 1 post there's several branches of the hobby that have been brought to light..... your images ,your interest are the sparks that keeps the fire going..... share your knowledge, and spark an interest into other minds to learn more....

6. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I've decided to do another one of those folders for coins... I like them. I wanted to upgrade the quality of my IHCs without spending too much for them. So far, these are the ones I've gotten since I started this set in February. My goal has been to keep the price for each coin below $30, but none of these have cost me more than the high teens. I paid $4 for the '03, and $6.41 for the 1890; neither appear to have been cleaned. All of these have full headdresses on them with almost completely intact Liberty inscriptions. My new '08S has been put into a Tetra 2 X 2 and lives among the Halves and Dollars. No plans to seek out an '09S or an 1877.

2018-03-24 09.43.04.jpg

7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

This would never happen around here. My house is built on what once was a cotton field on an antebellum plantation.

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

As a natural extension of my focus on early cents, I also like and collect IHC's. I love the design and you guys have posted some really nice ones examples.

Unfortunately, my collection is fairly limited, but would like to start looking at the varieties eventually as well.

Here are some of my current examples.

1861 Indian Head Cent MS62 OBV - 1.jpg 1861 Indian Head Cent MS62 REV - 1.jpg 1864 cent - obv - 1.jpg 1864 cent - rev - 1.jpg 1864-L cent OBV - 1.jpg 1864-L cent REV - 1.jpg 1882 cent OBV - 1.jpg 1882 cent REV - 1.jpg 1901 Indian Head Cent OBV - 1.jpg 1901 Indian Head Cent REV - 1.jpg

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Here's one that will make you sick.
    One day I had the brilliant idea to collect all the non-gold coins from 1876. What was I thinking:eek:
    I sold off all but this one. 1876 IHC Holed 1.jpg

Pickin and Grinin and ken454 like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

PlanoSteve and Paddy54 like this.
  11. Paddy54

Well that 1864 L is the same variety that I lead off this thread with.... nice coins

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Paddy, does the term "RPD" refer to a doubling of the date?
    (got a lot to learnt here obviously)

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Yes it repunched date. Rpd 015 here a good site for you to use on line indianvarieties.com
    https://indianvarieties.com/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

When the mint worker had a few drinks at lunch, he had a hard time punching the date in the right spot on the die.

Eduard and Paddy54 like this.
  15. Paddy54

This 1865 Fancy 5 has one of the longest cuds I've ever seen....it starts at 2 K and wraps around the coin in different thickness to actually near 9K! 1865 IHC Cud.jpg

16. Paddy54

I just checked my PM and was informed that this specimen in post # 10 is indeed a new find and I will be given the attribution for the find. Made my day :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    ken454 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Excellent

18. Paddy54

Eduard
    You may want to think about some verdicare product on some of your IHC
    I know some don't like using it, I myself use it and allow the coin to air dry a few days before placing it back in a holder.
    You can also ask @BadThad its inventer on tnis subject in details.

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thanks, Paddy. I have used verdicare for spot treatment on some of my ancients, but have never used it on a small cent. Which one do you think needs treatment?

Regarding the 1864-L: When I blow up the picture I notice that "AMERICAS" is noticeably doubled, but I cannot see any doubling on the date. Which of the varieties would this be?

20. Paddy54

Can you post a better image of the 64 L spot dead on?
    As for the verdicare any coin with the green spots....perhasp a dip in acetone first, then a lite coating of verdicare.

21. Paddy54

20180324_171303.jpg 20180324_171314.jpg

As well as web sites I find these two references a very good sorce of information.
    One can never have enough sorces.....

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted