Indian Heads Cents... Let's see what ya got...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1864 L RPD 15 I found this one this afternoon going through some raw specimens I had laying around. A nice 1864 L IHC variety. 1864 L IHC.jpg 1864 RPD date.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Don't have any right now except the stuff in my detector finds album.

Here's one, just as it was found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's another at around the 21:00 minute mark in this, the longest of my detecting videos. (Target #10 of a ten-target outing.)

This is the highest grade one I've owned, back in my PCGS Registry type set days in the early 2000s.

(The somewhat sucky small images were done on a flatbed scanner.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

This is in my 20th Century set. 1901 Cent-horz.jpg

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Old Anacs MS62- 20170412_140801.jpg 20170412_140352.jpg i think its better though

gronnh20, PlanoSteve, dwhiz and 7 others like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Sweet! Wanna sell it? ;):woot:

I had an old ANACS PR62 that was super nice, too. Lots of bang for the buck with the 62 grade, sometimes.

8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

No no, its part of my toned type set
    e-clection! For the $30 (i think) im almost guaranteed to make a profit when i sell.
    On second thought:woot: i would trade you for that eclectic peacock!!:woot::woot::woot:

9. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. Paddy54

I just found another IHC in my collection that deserves a post. This one I have PM Russ Doughty about...It's an 1876. Now there's two things I have noticed about the year 1876 IHC's . One is that they are darker in color, most of the ones I have ran across are very dark brown ,few I've seen in the lighter chocolate color or even copper color.
    This specimen has a dot on its reverse After Private Messaging Russ he wants to see my coin and share the following links.

https://indianvarieties.com/cents/indian-head-cents/1898-indian-head-penny/1898-odd-001/
    https://indianvarieties.com/cents/indian-head-cents/1883-indian-head-penny/1883-odd-001/
    https://indianvarieties.com/cents/i...-indian-head-penny/1864-no-l-cud-004-odd-004/

This may be a "new discovery" as to another year that an IHC has a dot placed on the coin. Notice the O.NE on the reverse.
    The most famous the 1875 Dot variety....which I will let you research the reason or story behind the dot.....it is a good read!

1876 IHC dot rev.jpg 1876 dot on coin rev.jpg 1876 IHC Love Token.jpg

The last image of an 1876 Love Token shown to compare coin color as you can see it also is dark.

@RBBDoughty

JPeace$, gronnh20, Eduard and 9 others like this.
  12. Paddy54

Next an 1884 OOD-001
    A very rare variety coin that was paired with two obverse dies!
    obv. paired with 2 dies one being the MPD 001, in the denticle, Which this specimen is the OOD -001 star like die damage in the north west quadrant of shield, 1884 IHC Star in shield.jpg 1884 IHC star.jpg 1884 MPD 001.jpg and the MPD -001

Coin-Dude, RBBDoughty, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

14. Paddy54

Love the color,clashes and cracks Larry it has all 3 c's sweet coin!

ldhair likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

That's a hella sweet pickup at thirty bucks, methinks.

But you'd have to send me ten or twelve of 'em to dislodge my Peacock HTT from its roost in the Eclectic Box. ;)

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Yeah and always hatting me as a cheap skate.....:stop: I am thirfty not cheap:rolleyes:

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  17. Gunner1944

Gunner1944 Active Member

Still looking for my first Indian head penny metal detecting. That is a goal for this coming year.

dwhiz likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

PCGS didn't care for the color. I can see why. It was messed with at some point. She is happy in my 7070 album.

dwhiz and Paddy54 like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Put your coil to the soil in enough old Victorian neighborhoods enough times, and it'll happen eventually. Note that they can come in slightly below "cent" range on most detector ID meters I've used. Often in "zinc cent" range or even down into the midrange where aluminum screwcaps will signal in. So sometimes a similar meter reading to a Zincoln or a screwcap, but a bit deeper and quieter on the audio than those, if that makes any sense to you.

20. Paddy54

The color seems to me to be natural to me also, as to what I've seen before in this color scale... nice coin raw or graded I like it.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I paid a crazy price for this one. Some of you guys may know Jeremy. He did an auction each year to raise money for cancer research. I'm proud to say that I paid five times it's value.
    Image_1573.JPG Image_1576.JPG

JPeace$, gronnh20, PlanoSteve and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted