???? indian head nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by wallace wisdom, May 24, 2016.

1. DSC02240.JPG DSC02239.JPG DSC02236.JPG DSC02235.JPG DSC02234.JPG DSC02232.JPG DSC02240.JPG I hope you guys as sharp as I think you are cus I need a little help with this one, I have this buffalo nickel and cant figure out what year it is is there any way of telling ?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While that coin is very toasted, what you can try is this.
    With a very strong light, and an eye loupe, you can tilt the coin at certain angles and you will be able to make out a date. ( Sometimes).

4. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Put it in vinegar for a week. The date will (should) appear on the shoulder.

5. Thank u guys very much, I'll definitely try those methods and let u know what I come up with

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Be aware, though, if you're successful in restoring the date, propriety requires you mention it's been done if you offer it for sale down the road. This is not a dishonorable practice - everybody knows Buffalo dates wear off and restoring them is acceptable - but as a result original unrestored coins whose dates are still readable tend to carry a premium.

swish513 likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, that's correct. When you sell it for twenty cents, make sure you let the buyer know what you did! :greedy::facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:!

justafarmer and Lehigh96 like this.
  8. thanks for the info , I just didn't know if it was a dual date 17 over 18's . so if I soak it in vinager the honest thing to do is to tell the person (if it was one of them ) that I did that is that what your saying ?

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yes; if you check Ebay auctions you'll see a bunch of them which mention "restored date" or something similar. Once you've seen a bunch of them, you'll be able to tell a restored date 9 times out of ten, which will be a factor in your choice of who to do business with. A certain level of wear, with a date still readable, is a pretty good red flag. :)

The date problem with Buffs is such that restored ones lose less a percentage of their value than another issue might if it were so ill-treated (according to the "regular" rules of how to treat coins).

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I don't see a "D" mint mark. If one is not there to do not have a "dual date" that we like to refer to as an "overdate."

11. yea ok I myself don't like to do side ways business so dully noted thank you for that info ill just try to stear away from coins with bad dates , again thanks guys

Draft saved Draft deleted