Indian Head Holed - any value? + Susan B. Anthony + Native American $1

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BasSWarwick, Sep 19, 2022.

1. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Spotted these in a local auction - may go cheap.
    Looks like 1862/3 Indian Head Cent (holed)
    What's it worth?

There's also a $1 coin in there.

Auction Lot USA.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BasSWarwick

Couple more here.
    Photos are not clear enough to check mint mark
    Auction Lot USA 2.jpg

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I spy nothing that jumps out and screams value here...if you can get close to face value may be something to bid ...but I would go much over. The older date nickels Ill be more than happy to sell you at face...nickels need be Au or better and better dates to hold any premium.

dwhiz likes this.
  5. BasSWarwick

Thanks @Paddy54
    The guy does sell individual coins so he may not have missed anything.

6. Paddy54

I can probably get you a set of Jefferson nickels circulated but a full set very cheap...1938-68 if you wanted one...dealers here unload them cheap.

dwhiz, NOS and BasSWarwick like this.
  7. Paddy54

The holed IHC is < $5 coin 1862

philologus_1 and BasSWarwick like this.
  8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

A holed coin typically takes off 75% of what the coin would have been worth if it didn't have said hole. So run an estimate of what it'd be worth without and then deduct 3/4ths of the value from that.

BasSWarwick likes this.
  9. BasSWarwick

@Paddy54

Thanks Paddy. I'd probably be more interested in any spare notes you have for sale (or swap).

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don’t see anything that excites me. I’d pass unless you can get them at face value or less.

11. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Here's an example where I believe the seller hoped the hole added to the value:D...

1795 holded hc.jpg

12. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Why are coins holed? The coins in the picture are quite old. Who knows when the holes were put in.

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

More dark side stuff I’m sure. The lower 1795 the portrait doesn’t resemble anything I know of that date. But it’s a series I’m not as well versed in

Jack D. Young likes this.
  14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

There were many reasons to hole coins.

It was a theory many years ago that folks holed the coins to put them on a piece of thread or cloth in order to keep them safe and not lose them.

This was just a theory for decades until a collector walked into an antique shop back about 30 or 40 years ago and saw a Civil War uniform.
    He really liked it and was talking to the shop owner who agreed that it was neat, and then asked: 'Wanna see something even neater?" and pulled a piece of cloth out of a pocket with a group of holed coins threaded thru with a knot in between each coin.
    That pretty much proved the theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted