Indian Head 1859 Penny - opinions appreciated

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rick B, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Hi, I would love opinions from more experienced coin dudes about this Indian Head 1859 Penny.
    Ebay #323753249764
    Photos attached also.
    Seller grades as BU.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Looks like it’s been cleaned. To me it’s a details coin. At that price I’d pass. JMHO

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

+1. Cleaned.

5. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I was wondering if it had been cleaned. But only because it looks "too good". Do you have more reasons than that? Do you see any cleaning marks or anything like that?
    Thanks.

6. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

Definitely cleaned....I wouldn't give it a BU. Maybe AU details

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    jafo50 likes this.
  7. Indianhead65

You can tell just by the appearance of the coin. It has what I call a fake shine....one that you can always tell with copper.

8. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Even at AU it's not a bad price, but I don't want it if it's been cleaned. Can you show me how you know? What do I look for? Besides that it looks "TOO NICE"!

Indianhead65 likes this.
  9. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    I guess I'll look for others of that date so I can compare and learn.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  10. Lawtoad

Also the dark toning around the devices. Usually a bad sign.

11. Lawtoad

Indianhead65 likes this.
  12. Indianhead65

Like Lawtoad said above, dark toning or residue around the devices if its been dipped. If its been cleaned by rubbing or scrubbing with a cloth or brush you'll see fine hairlines from rubbing the coin. Most likely this one was dipped..or I'd say soaked in some kind of solution. This reduces the value by at least half.

13. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The lack of luster is a dead giveaway.

Danomite and Indianhead65 like this.
  15. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Lots of good pointers from you all. Thank you.
    I need to learn more about luster.

16. Randy Abercrombie

Get yourself a fresh new quarter. Take it out into the sunlight and tilt it around. You will see radiating lines that catch the sun. Those radiating lines are the flow lines of the metal filling the die. Those flow lines are the luster. It’s an unmistakable thing once you attune you’re eyes to look for it. Harsh cleaning generally removes those flow lines. Makes for a pretty and shiny coin, but the surfaces are dead because the luster has been removed.

17. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Thanks much!
    I'm so glad I found cointalk! No idea how I did, though. I don't remember.

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

EF-AU sharpness, but it appears to have been polished.

One of the skills that one needs to grade coins and spot problem pieces is to be able to differentiate between mint luster and polishing. The easiest coin from which to learn mint luster is the Morgan Silver Dollar. The “cartwheel” luster that you see on a bright, Uncirculated dollar, when you swirl it around under a strong light, is mint luster.

Here’s a still photo of the effect. The bright spot on this coin moves uniformly around the coin as you swirl it the light. This is caused by the fact that the metal literally moves when the coin is struck. It takes over a 100 tons of pressure to strike a silver dollar.

1878-CC Dol O.jpg 1878-CC Dol R.jpg

Here is a Mint State 1859 Indian cent. It's harder to see on these coins, but they also have the mint luster swirl when you look at them under a strong light. Once you acquire this skill, you will be a much more savy coin buyer. This piece is now in an NGC MS-64 holder.

1859CentO.JPG 1859CentR.JPG

19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Good information from all of these posts @Rick B. It takes time to learn these very fine points, but hang in there and you will. Good luck.

Danomite and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, probably nothing, I wrote to the seller and he said "The coin has been conserved but has not been cleaned"

21. Randy Abercrombie

Well..... He isn’t an honest fellow. Just write him off your list of suppliers.

Indianhead65 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted