Indian Head 1 cent 1866

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mika2019, Jul 26, 2019.

1. mika2019

mika2019 New Member

Sorry no idea. Still missing the same year from my collection. Prices are too high form me. It is a rare/hard year coin. Hope you find a good coin.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Be careful, quite a few fake 1877's, especially the worn ones that are hard to determine authenticity. Pony up, get a certified 1877, but be careful even with the certified ones. Remember, a deal too good to be true, is just that!

LA_Geezer and mika2019 like this.
  4. funnycoins

funnycoins no strike, no balls,no outs. Just give me an hour

from 1859=1864 a copper/nickel planchet was used
    Metal Composition: 88% Copper - 12% Nickel

Diameter: 19 mm
    Mass / Weight: 4.67 grams

mika2019 likes this.
  5. Ima Dragon

Ima Dragon Year of the Dragon

Alright . I get to get a new Coin Toy , A gram scale . Suggestions for a good one ? $1.00 $2.50 $3.00 & $5.00 Gold Liberty I probably should check . I use the USAUCTIONONLINE , USAUCTIONBROKERS & PROPERTYROOM . THEY Claim they are genuine and most are from BARR COIN . Seen
    Any thoughts on them ? I do get nice looking coins that appear genuine from what I've seen on counterfeit detection . Thanks

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I paid about $8 for mine and it has been very accurate. Although it only goes to 1 decimal place. But it's been very useful for coins and silver/gold jewelry.
    Mine was $5.30 + shipping. (In 2016) Now the same one is $11 before shipping.
    41u5RLOrWtL.jpg

7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

This is good advice. I am working on my THIRD complete set of IHCs, and do not have a single 1877—or 1909-S, for that matter—in any of the three. I try to keep my purchases to under $100 each, but once you leave the 1880s, that is very difficult to do; even if you lower your expectations a bit.

Hookman and mika2019 like this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Save your pennies and buy a certified example with no problems. I would recommend looking for one in VG with a straight grade. PCGS Coin Facts lists the VG 1877 cents at $700 to $800. Auction results have been in the $500 to $625 range.

Another way to look it is when it comes time to sell, you have a piece that other collectors will want. Problem coins, unless they are super rare, are always harder to sell. The 1877 cent is not super rare. It's hardly even scarce ... just pricey.

The trouble with the certified ones that have problems and are in "details grade" holders is that is where the counterfeiters have been getting by the grading services, including PCGS and NGC. They take their counterfeits, rough them up some to hide the problems and send them in for grading. The major services have tripped up on such pieces on several occasions.

LA_Geezer, Hookman and mika2019 like this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

For the coins you mention, Amazon has several 50gram X.001 gram resolution balances. From 50x.1 it is 100 times more accurate with this resolution. Buy one with a calibration weight as moving them, overloading their limit, or battery life will change values slightly, so one can calibrate to the standard and you have a higher reliability the numbers are correct.
    The same balance can come under many different names.

Jim

Hookman and mika2019 like this.
  10. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

The end of paradise, those counterfeiters! You are the first coin collector I've ever encountered who said the 1877 isn't rare, John; pricey, for sure, it is, too. From what you've offered here, though, would scare me off buying one—even if I won the Powerball for $275 Million.

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I have the same thing. Good for coins and good for scrap pms

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I will concur with johnmilton save your money. I sometimes see a g-6 or even a nicer g-4 for $450-500. Vg even better. And a bit more. Save your money for a nice one you won’t regret it. The 1877 is the key a LOT of people collect ihc everyone who does needs the 77 to complete the set and when you go to sell or your family if you ended up passing it down. Or if you decide to upgrade a nice example will hold its value sell better and always have a strong demand. The best investment advice is buy the nicest coin you can afford. And slabbed and certified by pcgs or ngc. Trust me you won’t regret it in the long run

LA_Geezer and mika2019 like this.
  13. funnycoins

What are current slabbing costs for ihc?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Since the post is about an 1866 which weighs 3.11g, I don't see why this is
    relevant.

Hookman likes this.
  15. funnycoins

just wondering since the dialog also shifted to "pricey". I have a 1865, 66, and a couple of more I may need to get certified

Draft saved Draft deleted