Indian Gold Fanams

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TTerrier, Nov 1, 2016.

1. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

I think I'm breaking the rules here by not posting a coin but I don't have any of this type and am looking for information from members who might collect these. I really like the small silver Greek fractions but the EL hekte's are simply too pricey for me to acquire a reasonable size collection of those. I'd like to have some gold in the collection and am not stuck on Greek coins but just coins that appeal to me, are within the budget and would be fun to hunt down.

The fanams seem interesting as they are gold and really small, some with good designs. A few questions:

1. These look like they could be easy to fake - if I stick to auction houses and VCoins am I likely to avoid fakes or is the market riddled with them? A tough question - but in this case I can only know the dealer as I won't know the coins.
    2. The main reference appears to be a book 'Gold Fanams" by Hans Herrli - can anyone comment on whether this is a worthwhile reference.

If you have some fanams in your collection please post!

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I have JA looking out for one for me.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I recommend Coin India at vcoins - the owner is Pankaj Tandon, who is also the head of the Oriental Numismatic Society. He is a scholar first, dealer second. The only fanams I've acquired have been through him. He is a life-long student of Indian coinage and I trust his judgment.

TTerrier and Alegandron like this.
  5. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Speaking of things from JA
    fanam.jpg

This is tiny, like 7mm tiny. If that's a fake, congrats to the faker.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  6. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Forgot to add the info:

Tipu Sultan (1782-1799 AD), Mysore
    AU Fanam, Patan mint, 1789
    OBV: HA (initials of Hyder Ali, Tipu Sultan's father) within inner linear and outer dotted borders
    REV: 1218 (1789AD) / Zarb Patan, within inner linear and outer dotted border

NOTE: Tipu Sultan introduced his own Mauludi date system, replacing the Hijiri calendar

Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  7. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info JA and nice coin swish513! That is one small coin - amazing they can fit the date and mint on such a tiny flan.

8. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Very true, there are huge numbers of fakes of these (and other Southeast Asian types). As John points out, Pankaj is the one to go to.

Insider likes this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    9mm, 0.4gms
    Coorg. H#1.09.01

10. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I dont have any fanams - although I have owned 2 in the past. I can share my Pagoda.

Chalukya of Kalyana
    Jayasimha II Jagadekhamalla,(r. AD 1015-1042)
    AV Pagoda 18 mm x 3.79 grams
    Obverse: 2 x Sri, Temple/ spearhead with central rosette. - Kannad Script -Jakadeva
    Reverse: Uniface - Countermarked elephant right. Uncertain symbol.
    Ref:Mitch, Karnataka Andhra 273 var
    Note: Very rare with elephant punchmark.

Chalukya.jpg
    Chalukyaelephant.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted