India

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Jun 10, 2012.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here's a half pagoda, Madras Presidency, 1808-1811, that I've had since the 1980s, purchased from Karl Stephens.

These coins were struck over Spanish 8 reales. This example shows very faint traces of the original coin. Also, this coin weighs 20.82 grams, indicating that the 8 reales coins were reduced in weight, probably by filing the edge prior to striking.

Dav. 247; KM 353

D-Camera India Madras Presidency 1808-11 half pagoda Karl 20.82g 4-17-22.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Hyderabad, Mir Mahbub Ali Khan, AR rupee, AH1321 (AD1903)

1903 Hyderabad 1 r.jpg

robinjojo and Quant.Geek like this.
  4. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

That is one coin that I really wanted to get, but the prices just went up the roof on these...

robinjojo likes this.
  5. robinjojo

Yes, there is a very strong demand for Indian coins in general and really strong for rare coins. Back in the 1980s and 1990s the prices were lower, but still high for rare coins, such as the double rupees of Mysore. The lowest I paid for one, as I recall, was $200, which is mid-grade (VF), while the most I paid ran around $400, possibly a bit more.

I've got a Madras Presidency double rupee in a box. I'll pull it out and take some snaps of it.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  6. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I started collecting in the 80s and I really didn;t have the funds to dish out that much dough. I was only 10 years old and went to the local coin shop to buy coins that were $2.00 or less and that I had to save to reach that any amount greater than that :). The most I spent was probably $10. I still have all of those coins :woot:

robinjojo likes this.
  7. coin_nut

I collected a bit in my younger years, then got rid of almost all my worldly possessions ("junk") in about 2007 and moved to another country. Then in about 2016 I discovered coins on ebay and kinda went nuts buying coins. So I guess I have actually been collecting for about 6 years now, and that includes nearly all kinds of coins.

Quant.Geek and robinjojo like this.
  8. robinjojo

When I was growing up, for hobbies my interests reflected the times - model airplanes, cars and ship, and later on slot cars. Coins, such as I had at the time, were given to me, including a shoe box full of pennies from an uncle.

Serious coin collecting really didn't start until my late 20s.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  9. coin_nut

Portuguese India AR rupee, 1912. Just came today.

1912 PT-IN 1 r.jpg

robinjojo likes this.
  10. coin_nut

Perhaps this is a "pig rupee" as mentioned earlier. You can clearly see the elephant on the obverse at around 6 O'clock position on King George's jacket.

1913 C Rupee

1913 C GB-IN 1 r.jpg

robinjojo likes this.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

1919 Rupee
    Ind191905.jpg

1935 1/2 Anna
    Ind193505.jpg

1826-34 Indian Portuguese-Goa Tanga
    Ind182605.jpg

And a few more...

Ind179303.jpg

Ind183103.jpg

Attached Files:

robinjojo, spirityoda and coin_nut like this.
  12. coin_nut

That last one, the AU AE, really tickles my fancy. More description, por favor...

13. coin_nut

EIC 1/2 anna 1835

1835 EIC 1-2 a (2).jpg

robinjojo likes this.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Me too. It's a much higher grade than you usually find them.

From Numista
    Obverse: Legend in Persian: sana julus 37 Shah Alam Badshah
    Lettering: ســـنہ جلوس٣٧ شـــاه عالم باد شـــاه
    Translation: In the 37th year of the Emperor Shah Alam II

Reverse: The value in three languages
    Bengali: Ek pai sikka.
    Persian: Yek pai sikka.
    Gujarati: Eka paai sikkaa.

Lettering:
    এক পায় সিককা
    یک پای سکہ
    એક પાઇ
    થીકા
    Translation: One pie coin

Edge: Plain

Composition: Copper
    Weight: 6.13 g
    Diameter: 23 mm

15. coin_nut

Cool, thanks.

16. coin_nut

Bengal Presidency, AE Pie, c.1831-1835

1831-1835 Bengal Pres. 1 p (2).jpg

robinjojo likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'm pretty sure the "pig" rupee was only 1911. The "pig" appeared on the 1 rupee, 1/2 rupee, 1/4 rupee, 2 Annas and 1/4 Anna. The elephant was supposed to represent the Indian elephant with smaller ears and a shorter trunk. Much of the coinage was withdrawn and melted and the design was changed for 1912. The redesign gave it larger ears and a trunk which was shown upraised instead of pointed down like a snout. Here's one from e-bay of a 1/4 anna where you can see the "piggish" nature.
    s-l1600 (8).jpg pig.jpg

Robidoux Pass and robinjojo like this.
  18. robinjojo

Here's my "dumpy" lone mohur, a type coin and a very satisfying chunky narrow coin.

Jaipur State, year 36 (1915)
    Madho Singh II

KM 150

10.9 grams

D-Camera India Jaipur State Madho Singh II mohur yr 36 1915 10.9 grams KM 150 4-18-22.jpg

spirityoda and Chris B like this.
  19. robinjojo

I found the Madras Presidency 2 rupees. I need to better organize the collection - I'm just a natural procrastinator.

I've owned this example since March 1991. For those interested in tracking price trends, this coin cost $496 at the time.

As with the half pagoda, this coin was struck over a Spanish 8 reales, in this case one from Lima. The JP assayers' marks can be seen on the obverse, at around 2 o'clock. The JP assayers appeared on the Lima 8 reales and other silver minors from 1803 to 1823.

Madras Presidency, AH 1172 (1807)
    Year 2 (Note: Royal year ٢ (error) should be Royal year ٦)
    2 rupees
    Lotus mint mark

KM 404.1

24.2 grams

D-Camera India Madras Presidency 2 rupees AH 1172 1807 yr 2 lotus 24.2g KM 404.1 4-18-22.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  20. coin_nut

Yes, that is very piggy looking! I am surprised that I lack any 1911 British India coins. Must do something about that. Here is a 1912 B rupee with the improved elephant.

1912 B GB-IN 1 r.jpg

21. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

this one confuses me : I read the date on obverse as (1208 AH) 1793 AD? reign of Vikramjit started in 1796? where am I going wrong?
    upload_2022-5-21_9-50-54.png
    Princely States. Orchha, Vikramjit Mahendra (1796-1817 AD), Silver Rupee, in the name of Muhammad Akbar II, 10.96g.

Chris B likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted