India, Gupta Dynasty: Chandragupta II (c. 380-414 AD), AV Dinara, Archer type

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Amit Vyas, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

India, Gupta Dynasty: Chandagupta Vikramaditya (Chandragupta II) (c. 380-414 AD), AV Dinara, Archer type, Shivlee A4 (7.65 g, 18.89 mm)

Obverse: King wearing Kushana style clothing and a tight-fitting cap standing left, holding an Indian long bow in his left hand and an arrow in his right. Garuda standard at left. Brahmi legend “Chandra “ under arm. “(Deva Sri Maharajadhiraja Sri) Chandraguptah” around.

Reverse: Goddess Lakshmi seated facing on a stylized lotus in padmasana pose, left hand resting on knee, holding “pasha” (noose) in the left hand and long-stalked lotus in the right hand. Tamgha to the left of goddess’s head. Brahmi legend “Sri Vikramah” at right.

DEF386D8-0EEB-4640-AB73-F625AC3F9234.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Interesting coin. I am assuming it is gold too ?

4. Amit Vyas

Yes

spirityoda likes this.
  5. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

Super interesting coin, one I'd love to have in my collection someday. I have been researching and working on a website to cover the early coinages of Southeast Asia, with the western border in Bengal. Here is a bit from my WIP site that shows a really interesting imitative issue by a local King Samacharadeva which quite directly copies the designs from your coin. The gold Gupta coins truly are some of the finest and most magnificent golden coins for their time, your example is really attractive too.
    upload_2021-6-21_12-1-29.png

6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin!

I'll echo @TuckHard - Indian coins are absolutely an acquired taste, but these Gupta drachms IMO capture the essence of golden age Indian art, much more than their Predecessors the Kushans, or really any that came after.

Also, is that a bucranium at the center of the lotus under Lakshmi

Amit Vyas likes this.
  7. Amit Vyas

Despite the resemblance, I don’t think the upper part of the stylized lotus was meant to represent a bucranium.

Draft saved Draft deleted