India Coppers - I need help identifying. Lots of help...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Jul 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Recently I find myself drawn to older Indian coins. Unfortunately, I can hardly tell which side is right side-up on these. And I can't read them either. But I still like them.

From eBay I bought a lot of 12 dump-type coppers, mostly in the dam/paisa size-range (20 grams or so - at under $2 each I thought this would be a good "educational" lot for me). After a lot of work, I managed to figure out 7 of them. A couple of them are so worn that they are blank. But here are four decent ones that have me stumped.

9.35 grams, 18 mm:
    Unknown India 9.35 grams Jun 2021 (0).jpg

10.79 grams, 18 mm:
    Unknown India 10.79 grams Jun 2021 (0).jpg

19.94 grams, 20 mm - I feel I should be able to get this one - Akbar from Narnol? I just can't find a reasonable visual match, so I'm stumped:
    Unknown India 19.94 grams Jun 2021 (0).jpg

13.78 grams, 19 mm - not much left of this one:
    Unknown India 13.78 grams Jun 2021 (0).jpg

Apologies in advance for any upside-down photos and obverse/reverse confusion! :shame:

Any help much appreciated.

Here's the whole lot (seller threw in an extra!):
    India - 12 plus 1 dam lot Jun 2021 (3).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

For that price I'm glad you jumped on. Congrats.
    I'm reading about South Asian coins generally. Maybe I should check out some lots.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

What a great book! SVed for later. Thanks!

Amit Vyas likes this.
  6. Tigermoth1

Tigermoth1 Active Member

Hi there, I find myself in a similar predicament, having purchased these at auction, with no idea of what more they are than INDIAN RUPEES; also, "JAIPUR MADHO SINGH ii" connection. Perhaps between us we can decipher MORE?

JAIPURMadhoSingh ii rupees65%.jpg

JAIPURMadhoSingh ii rupees.jpg

GeorgeVJaipur.jpg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Thanks for that link Amit - I will see what I can figure out. And you are right - attributing them is the fun part.

Amit Vyas likes this.
  8. Marsyas Mike

That is a terrific batch of rupees you have there.

A lot of them have a branch/vine thing on them - that seems to show up a lot on coins of Jaipur. Again, I am an absolute novice at this sort of thing, but here is a link to Numista's Jaipur listings-

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/jaipur_princely_state-1.html

I always try to find a number on them - then I do a Google image search. Your 13A seems to have a "21" - I found this on numisbid (it is only a 1/4 rupee and yours might be a larger version?):

Jaipur, Madho Singh II, Sawai Jaipur Mint, Silver 1/4 Rupee, 21 RY, Obv: ba ahad malika-e-muazzama sultanate-e-inglistan, Rev: ruler's name and jhar mint mark, 2.8g, 15.20mm, (KM # 139), about very fine.
    https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=3650&lot=405

Amit Vyas likes this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

These old Indian coins are a challenge for a monoglot like me, but I really like how they look (the coppers are very chunky too). Another great thing about them is that they are often very cheap! I like cheap. Which is to say, you should take the plunge!

The Eidolon and Evan Saltis like this.
  10. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

For the Jaipur ones, see here: https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=2945.

The two square coppers are of Bundi, citing George V: https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=56432

11. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

For the first coin in the startpost, look at the Sultans of Delhi, Lodi dynasty.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  12. Marsyas Mike

Thank you for that tip - indeed, you put me in the right direction. Here's what I came up with (I had trouble reading the date, but it looks like an example on chiefa coins with that AH 906 date. From what I can tell, there are two types, one with one without the mint; since this seems to be below the date, mine either never had a date, or it is off-flan. I think. I'm still very ignorant about these!

I also corrected the obverse/reverse orientation of the original photo:

Unknown India 9.35 grams Jun 2021 (0corrected).jpg
    India, Delhi Sultanate
    Æ / Billon Tanka
    Sikandar Lodi
    A.H. 906 (1501 A.D.) ?
    Delhi / No mint? (off flan)

Al-mutawakkil 'ala'l rahman.../ Fi-zaman amir al-muminin...Mint: [bi-hadrat Delhi] and date٩٠٦ (906 ?) at bottom.
    Goron D705 / D706 (no mint)
    (9.35 grams / 18 mm)

Thank you again for your help with this.

Chris B likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted