Featured Incredibly Scarce Type 2 Planchet Error and Beautiful Double Denomination Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Apr 16, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I worked out one heck of a deal to acquire both of these truly beautiful, scarce and amazing pieces today. With a little knowledge of these error types, researching recent sales, an emphasis that few people collect these error types, illustrating a passion to preserve such pieces and that they will be in good hands, and providing proof that I am a collector and not a dealer looking to flip it, it is amazing what you can offer a seller yet they feel comfortable giving it away for a whole lot less than even very recent market value/trends.

1. The 1/2 cent blank planchet is one of only three known total in existence anywhere, according to writeups in Mint Error News. As you can see, it is in absolutely amazing condition (beautiful color and few marks or dings on both sides, great rims) for being at least 161 years old (James Buchanan was in office as President in 1857).
    Screenshot_2018-04-15-18-52-17.png

Screenshot_2018-04-16-00-07-05.png Screenshot_2018-04-16-00-07-15.png

Nickels on Cent planchets are rare, and incredibly rare as double denominations; they are very scarce in MS65RD, and even more so from the Denver Mint, which is known to have far fewer errors escape than the Philly Mint. And unlike many nickel on cent double denomination errors, the features are strong for both on both sides, including two very distinct and complete, full dates. Even more cool is that each side has a head and a tail on it!

Screenshot_2018-04-16-00-09-12.png Screenshot_2018-04-16-00-09-01.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-16-00-09-08.png

I hope you enjoy them!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

First is too cool! The second seems mint employee assisted to me. Cool O/S!

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Very nice I want one. LOL
    Dave

6. JCro57

I know a lot of the abbreviations and acronyms but I don't know what your last one is (O/S)

7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I would say overstrike?

@JCro57 you have some really cool errors and blanks! But the big question is... Do you have any 'normal' coins in your collection? ;)

JCro57 likes this.
  8. JCro57

Yes, but only these below:

Set of 1943 PDS MS67 CAC Steel cents with an MS65 D/D

Set of MS66FS Silver-alloy War Nickels from 1942-1945 (some are 67 or 66+) and I included the 1942 silver proof and an MS64FS 1943/2.

Plus a complete BU set Franklin's.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  9. Pickin and Grinin

O/S is overstrike.

JCro57 likes this.
  10. JCro57

I feel like I have been collecting for many years simply to fill up slots for dates and mintmarks in sequence. Part of the fun is showing them to others, and having 50 of the same type with just varying dates and mintmarks has kind of gotten old for me.

When I show people my error and variety collection, I find 99% of the people enjoy the errors and varieties more. Each specimen has a possible reason how it got that way, and it is fun to speculate how and why. My students, whom I thought would be bored to death, loved these pieces. I had teachers and administrators coming down all throughout the day. The response shocked me, and their interest was genuine.

What I need to do for many of my blanks/planchets is have a high grade stamped example for each one so people can see what they should look like. Guess I need an AU 1/2 cent from 1849-1857!

Beefer518 likes this.
  11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the same reason I do the old commemoratives. Each coin is different, and each one has a story.

That's a great idea, and would make a great type set if you had an example of a 'correct' coin alongside the error.

Paul M. and JCro57 like this.
  12. JCro57

Well, I had to return the double denomination to the seller for reasons I won't discuss on this forum. But I am keeping the 1/2 cent planchet (that one I will likely never ever see come up for sale again.)

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

It would be a keeper in my collection also.

JCro57 likes this.
  14. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

These are some of the coolest errors I have ever seen!

JCro57 likes this.
  15. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Cool errors there! I definitely think that the nickel on the cent planchet is my favorite. I have never seen a blank half cent planchet before, and that one looks cool too.
    Congratulations on those finds!

JCro57 likes this.
  16. mcz0804a

mcz0804a Member

That double denomination is too cool!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted