Incorrect NGC Type Attribution

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I picked up a world coin of a type transition year (1880). The coin is slabbed as an 1880 type 1 when it is really an 1880 type 2. The difference in appearance between the types is minor, and I didn't notice the incorrect type attribution until after I bought the coin. As a type 2 it's a top pop of a scarce first year type, so even though the book value is $50 lower as a type 2, I don't really mind. I would, however, like to get the label corrected.

Has anyone had a similar situation with an NGC slabbed coin with an incorrect type attribution and had it corrected? If so, what was your experience with getting it done?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you are positive that it is a Type 2, it is possible that it was a mechanical error (typo). Even if it was misattributed, you can still have NGC correct it. Do you have submission privileges for NGC? If not, maybe you can get one of the other members here to "piggy-back" it on one of their submissions.

Chris

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

VarietyPlus® Tier price + $15 Tier + 5 working days Tier + 5 working days Upon request, NGC examines coins for recognized varieties and certifies with applicable designation. Also, choose a grading tier according to coin value and desired turnaround. See VarietyPlus for a complete list of varieties we recognize. If you would like a coin already graded by NGC reviewed for variety, do not select a grading tier. Select the VarietyPlus service option. Variety Plus fees apply when this service is requested regardless of whether or not NGC determines your coin to be a recognized variety.

5. Jaelus

Positive. I have submission privileges, I'm just not keen on paying for them to fix their mistake. They have a clear policy on variety attribution but not type attribution, and I'm unfamiliar with how they handle clerical errors (if they claim that's what this is).

6. Jaelus

Yea but it's not a variety attribution, it's a type attribution; the kind they automatically label as part of simply identifying the series/type on any tier submission. Also, I don't want to pay to fix their mistake. I'm sure this is uncommon, but I'm hoping someone here has had to do this before and can chime in.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I feel this is one of those that you will need to give them a call.
    They are great about fixing problems.

Jaelus likes this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yes. I have PCGS get things wrong all the time. Overton numbers for bust halves, GR numbers,etc. I've even seen 1807 Capped Bust Halves in holders that said "Draped Bust."
    NGC does the same thing. They spend very little time on each coin unless it's a top pop rarity. Honestly, I don't blame them much. I bet they're under tremendous pressure. I'd be willing to bet money on the fact that their numbers are closely monitored. Everyone has a boss, and if 10 graders are going through 1000 coins a day and one other guy only does 650, then a boss will soon be bearing down on them.

Jaelus likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Contact Scott Schechter and explain the problem.

Chris

Jaelus and ldhair like this.
  10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

They are good about fixing issues. Give them a call and explain the issue.

As already stated, this is NOT a variety issue -- coin types are differentiated as part of the grading and authentication process. There should be no cost to you for correcting the issue. Not sure if they will reimburse shipping costs.

1-800-NGC-COIN

Jaelus and ldhair like this.
  11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

TPGs will fix these types of errors with little or no cost to you, as they're just as interested as you are in minimizing mistakes on their products. Call them and be nice. My most recent darkish side newp (I'll post it when I get a chance -- it's cool) has the wrong KM number in a transitional year. Always verify attributions on a coin before buying.

Jaelus likes this.
  12. Jaelus

That's exactly what mine is as well. The coin has 3 types, denoted by NGC with the KM# for coins in transitional years. Type 2 (a minor obverse change) transitioned in 1880 and type 3 (a minor reverse change) transitioned in 1890. Since I'm going after all 3 types and this is my first example of the coin in any type, I didn't look too closely. It's a beautiful coin.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They erred when they slabbed it, and if you bring the error to their attention they will fix it for free. You may or may not be on the hook for the shipping and insurance. It used to be you were but some people have reported being reimbursed because the company said they shouldn't have to pay to have NGC fix their own mistakes. I would call and talk to them first and mention the costs they will probably cover them.

14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I did have a 1956 PR69 Roosevelt dime that was cameo but not shown on the label. I called NGC and they said to send it in, I did they reholdered it as PR69Cam at no extra charge. But it's not the same situation.

15. numisport

numisport Member

I'm sure they will fix it at no charge and probably return it free of shipping charges if they really made a mistake. They have fixed mine several times after I shipped them back at my expense. NGC is a good company to deal with.

16. UniqueDesigns

UniqueDesigns Civil War Token Collector

The last time I ask them this Q, I was told that NGC does not attribute material. They are in the Grading business.
    So, if the original submitter of that coin to NGC for grading called it by it's wrong name and wrote it up as such, then my impression was that NGC wants the label changed, so they don't look bad, but the circumstances would dictate whether the new owner/submitter would have any costs to cover.

17. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Are you sure the coins and holder aren't countefeit?

18. Jaelus

Yea it's just a wrong KM#. Nothing sinister. The coin and slab match the NGC photos.

19. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

A couple of years ago I sold an 1896 Morgan Dollar housed in a PCGS slab asserting on the label that the date was actually a 1904-O. This is why I don't think they "earn their fee" for doing their only job, grading. If they can't get a big thing like the date and mintmark right I simply can't trust them with the difference between an MS69 and an MS70 ... or in your case the attribution right.

20. Jaelus

I finally got around to taking some pics of the coin. It's a Hungarian 20 Francs/8 Forint 1880KB graded MS64. It's a gorgeous coin and I would have purchased it regardless of the type.

The label says it's a KM# 455 (Type 1), but it's actually a KM# 467 (Type 2). The Type 1 has a slightly different (younger) bust. While the busts are very similar, they have different patterns of beard hair and the ribbon tail on the Type 1 is long enough to reach the KB mint mark, not short like it is here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted