Featured In today's cash drawer

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by KeviniswhoIam, Mar 12, 2021.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sure, it does happen. Both ways. I was merely suggesting that the appearance of such coins in the bank or a store till does not always mean theft was involved. One hears the old "kids stole his collection" line an awful lot, is all I'm saying. And yeah, it happens, but there are also more innocuous explanations.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

If he got them from the bank, which is what it says in the thread, then theft is a lot less likely. I agree that is does not always mean theft was involved. I'm just saying that it can not be discounted, everything depending on time, place, and circumstances.

capthank likes this.
  4. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

If it was theft these dimes would not have been used at face value. 50 silver dimes for a $5.00 purchase, I'm just not seeing the scenario in which a thief would do that. Chances are the person who used the roll of dimes didn't know they were silver or didn't think silver was worth much.

KeviniswhoIam likes this.
  5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Maybe they would if they stole more obviously valuable coins and just unloaded these. That often happens. But in this case, aside from your valid point, it came from the bank. I think it makes the point that they might be stolen as being rather remote.

6. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

id find the bank that those came from......

7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I love these worn out old Mercs. At the time, a dime really meant something... a ride on the subway, a Captain Marvel Comic Book, a Doughnut and Coffee... Can you imagine buying something for a dime? The Times is $3. No inflation there.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Me too. I never tired of digging them during my detecting days. Found more than a roll’s worth.

And it was a well worn 1936 Merc dime that started me collecting, back in November of 1976. It was in my grandmother’s sideboard drawer with the silverware. Found it when I was asked to set the table for Thanksgiving dinner. I still have it, somewhere. So I’ve got a soft spot for circ Mercs.

KeviniswhoIam, NOS and cplradar like this.
  9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

This is awesome.

runninghorse1 and KeviniswhoIam like this.
  10. Amberlarry22

Amberlarry22 Well-Known Member

Boom! Boom! Boom! Nice snag guy! I would of bought the 2 rolls at a bank with no questions asked!

11. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

I know where they came from

Noah Finney likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A Million? Not even close..
    At $1.88 melt value for each silver coin and he found 100 of them.. So that comes out to $188.00 ;)

:hilarious:

13. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I just finished going thru 2 shoe boxes of old silver that my brother had! Morgans, Peace, Franklins, Walkers, Kennedys, Standing Liberty quarters (a handful), Washington quarters (2 large ziplock bags), Mercury dimes (2 sandwich size bags), Buffalo nickels (2 sandwich size bags), and other assorted goodies/odds-ends (canadian silver I think). Unfortunately all are all low-grade, very-heavily circulated coins. The morgans are all of the most common dates (P's, O's and few S-mint) and range from G/VG to mostly F with a few VF/EF mixed in. The Kennedys and Franklins are in nicer shape and he let me take them home to go thru them, along with a bag of Wheaties. All told there's about 14-15 lbs of silver! Im going to pick thru the dimes for a low-ball collection (as payment). The franklins and kennedys I know little about - so...it'll be fun to look at them. Anywho...my big question is...what to do with all the Buffalo nickels; the majority of then are so worn that I cant even read the date? Would a bank give me 5 cents for each one? The ones with dates I'll research and/or bag up to give back to my brother. Thanks ya'll!!

Matthew Kruse and Noah Finney like this.
  14. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

For the buffalo nickels, I would recommend buying a bottle of Nic-a-date. You put a drop of it on the date and the acid eats away and reveals the date.

Tusky Ranger likes this.
  15. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

Nah....saving them in the hopes my grandchildren might like them.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Tusky Ranger

I hope it comes in big bottles :) Thanks!

17. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

No problem lol. One bottle is about $10 but it lasts a long time because you only use a drop each time. I am currently trying to fill a Whitman album with Nic-a-date buffalo nickels. :)

18. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

More than just old wrappers...am of the mind that these are old rolls, period...laying around rolled up for all these years. Nice jackpot.

19. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

My father had a Nickel roll where none of the coin's dates were readable. Where can I purchase Nic-A-Date?

20. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Amazon is one but there a bit pricey.

21. Tusky Ranger

They were in a couple safe deposit boxes. My brother-in-law got the good stuff (basically took it and ran) - all the albums and high dollar stuff - he's a crook lol!

Draft saved Draft deleted