In These Troubled Times...Bring a Smile to Your Face and Post Your Best Cherry Pick, EVER!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Mar 26, 2020.

1. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Unlike John, above, I would bet that this is the XXX edge. The reverse die crack is there, but I don't see any sign of the obverse die cracks that would indicate that it is the true "a" die state. There are actually a handful of 102a's that still have the XXX edge.

micbraun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stairstars

stairstars Well-Known Member

I bought this 'problem' coin 42 years ago. It is a 1839 proof dime with a few flaws, but spectacular in appearance (not that you can discern from my images) as the mirror fields are shinny and reflective. I had Breen's brand new Encyclopedia of Proof Coins (1977) where he listed but two known examples. I thought for sure this was B2, the 'impaired' one. In my excitement, I wrote to Kam Ahwash who promptly called me on the phone. This opened for me a new door, as we became friends and I later sought his help and counsel and he provided me with superior findings during the next few years. But, he did not agree with me about the dime. Breen stated B1 "date not recut" and I had told him I saw something under the 9. Sight unseen, he never considered this coin. After he died in 1983, I sold all but the dime, still feeling unvindicated and went about life.

I got old and retired. In moving I found the old zippered bag and looked again, after decades, on her dark toning and raised image and did a search to see if anything was new. I found there were now five known examples and that Fortin had discovered a second set of proof dies had been used! I sent him images and he confirmed it was the F 105 die. In person, he also concluded it was a proof coin.

Now, I wanted to again confirm it was the B2 coin and found another new tool, the Newman Portal, and found the original 1956 catalog, with plate, notes on the buyer and the wonderful lineage the coin had. From vest pocket dealer Jim MacAllister (died 1945), to legend TJ Clarke (died 1952), through the hands of Wayte Raymond, JJ Ford and cataloger Breen, it was purchased by Aber Kreisberg, who sold it on in 1958. Heady company. I still yearn to find where MacAllister acquired it from, so the work continues. My image below shows the various documents that prove provenance. Note, the ding on the reverse and the pock on Liberty's right arm which are the main identification marks.

1 (2).PNG
    My first post - sorry for the length.

rick

Hoky77, gronnh20, Eduard and 4 others like this.
  4. T@kO

T@kO New Member

1982 P ZNC DDR FS-1801

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Thanks for your comment. Now I am really thinking about cracking it out :-D

...but if I remember correctly, all the die cracks were there, just barely visible under magnification. The pics don’t show them at all.

6. T@kO

T@kO New Member

[​IMG]

7. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

These were great. Sold them to LCD here.

Attached Files:

stairstars likes this.
  8. okbustchaser

If the obverse cracks are there then it is almost assuredly the plain edge. I might still crack it out though and resubmit as VF 35 is IMO too low a grade.

micbraun likes this.
  9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I know too little about CBH's but your example seems to have been a major Cherry Pick (R5+?).

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Amazing! for slightly over melt? fantastic, you must have been really pleased!

11. okbustchaser

No longer 5+, just a 5 (and on its way down to 5- as more are discovered)...but as a Red Book variety it carries a major premium over normal 1812s. Somewhere in the 40X to 50X range is typical.

kazuma78 and Eduard like this.
  12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Very Interesting! I learnt a lot.

If I understand you correctly, it is the die crack which makes this particular 1887 S so special?

Regarding your comment about deciding to let it go. I agree that the thrill of the hunt is perhaps the most rewarding.

In my case, however, I don't ever see myself letting the Pitt Farthing go. (My wife has actually taken a personal interest in the coin due to its history and relation to the American Revolution.)

13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Paddy, which of the Valentine varieties is this one: V-2, V-3 or V-5?
    (H10C's are not my area - as I understand it, though, there are three 3/3 varieties for 1834 H10C's).

14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

$75 in 1957 would be $695.00 +/- in 2020 money
    So that said be realistic....not many collectors had deep pockets enough to afford $75. In 1957

stairstars likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Shoot what happen to everythinghalfdimes.com web site?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  16. Paddy54

20200327_130755.jpg 1834 3-3 inverted.jpg 1834 3 -3 2.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Danielprice

Danielprice New Member

It is beautiful I've never seen one before but sure would not mind seeing one again and knowing all about it! I'm pleased your happy.

18. stairstars

stairstars Well-Known Member

All true, but in reading the ledgers and accounts of this little group in NYC, on 46th and Madison, with adjacent offices, it appears they were doing more among themselves than in Main Street, USA. MacAllister was cataloging for Chapman and then Morganthau. Raymond and the others had been selling to Col. Green and King Farouk. They cornered the market on Stellas and 1795 silver by sharing the load at thousands a pop. Breen was hired, as a kid, on request by Stuart Mosher who was then head of the Smithsonian Cabinet.
    S Mosher letter re Breen.png

19. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

No longer in my collection, but picked this up in a lot for under $30 if I recall correctly. Screenshot_20200331-102116_Chrome.jpg

micbraun and kazuma78 like this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Wow. That's a rare one.

Draft saved Draft deleted