Featured In the name and title of the Great Khan. Genghis Khan.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

More Mongol legacy, Chaghatayid Bukhara @728 AH

Chaghataid AR динар, Bukhara 728 AH Anonymous rev A-side.jpg

paschka, Orielensis, Edessa and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Is he the ruler who attacked with elephants. That’s the guy I want

4. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

That's Hannibal. Way older. Also Carthage, not Mongol. Coins in his name or title do not exist but there are some which people assume or speculate related to him

paschka, Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Just purchased another coin of interest. A dirham of Temp. Alughu (659-664/ 1261-1266 AD) Samarkand, AH 663 (=1265 AD). This has been categorized as either Great Mongol or Chagatayid. Another example posted by @Pellinore in this thread; https://www.cointalk.com/threads/tops-of-2020.372478/

I was intrigued by the legend. I have seen different translations but they all have the same general menacing theme.

From Zeno, #40355

"In Samarqand, as inside, so outside, the one who not take it will be found guilty"

From Mongolian Coins

"In Samarqand inside outside who doesn't take will become a mercenary and a slave"

From the seller

"Whoever is in Samarkand and its district will not accept this coin, is a criminal."

S20220208_0005-side.jpg

6. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

There are two similar types with this menacing text from Samarkand. This one has a Turkic text in the center. The other one was issued during the reign period of Ogedei Khan. That has a center text in Persian. The Persian text is the one with "sinner/criminal" (gunahgar). https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=36059 There also are different "gunahgar" cointypes from Kurraman from the same era.

7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

I believe this is a billon jital of Genghis Khan. It matches some of the coins on this thread and some other online sources. Any experts agree? I saw some prices that seemed “out there” to me. Any thoughts on identification, authenticity or value?

IMG_9273.jpeg IMG_9274.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    Curtis and paschka like this.
  8. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Yes. It reads: 'adl / khaqan / al-a'zam // al-Nasir / li-din Allah / amir al-mu'minin ("just / Khaqan / the very great // al-Nasir / li-din Allah / commander of the faithful").

"Khaqan" is the title of Ghengis Khan. "al-Nasir" is the name of the 'Abbasid caliph. Prices are all over the place. For yours, I'd say $50 or so as-is. More if properly cleaned.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    paschka, Curtis and Sulla80 like this.
  9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I like that guy. You hit it out of the ballpark with that one. My new favorite coin. He’s the guy with the elephants right?

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

The Mongols were not the best when it came to minting coins. The quality of the dies/ strike is horrible/ to put it mildly.

11. paschka

paschka Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted