In Numismatics, is there a difference between forgery and counterfeit?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCro57, Mar 11, 2020.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Are these used interchangeably or is there a difference? If so, is it the intent of the person who faked it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's a question that I imagine you're gonna get several different answers to. In my eyes, nahhhh, I don't see any difference. A fake is a fake is a fake - it's either genuine or it isn't !

I would say however that forgery is not a word typically used in numismatics, but I have no doubt that is has been used.

4. JCro57

Well, I do think many mistakenly use the terms counterfeit and altered. Counterfeit should mean both the planchet and the dies which struck it are fake, whereas altered means it is a genuine mint product that was somehow modified, either intentionally or unintentionally.

okbustchaser likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Isn't forgery a word used as in forged signature?
    It's not a real signature but a forgery.
    Or.. It's not an original painting but a forgery.

SilverQueen1964 likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not necessarily. A great many counterfeits have been produced with planchets that have the correct metal fineness, size, weight, everything. But they are still counterfeits. In fact many counterfeits have even been produced by the original entity, original mint in other words, and with genuine dies. But they were issued without official authority to do so, so they are still counterfeits. And then are those made at the original mint, with genuine dies, but on a planchet with reduced fineness and or weight - and those are counterfeits too.

With that I would agree.

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

To demonstrate that they are equivalent, you have to show that:
    1. A counterfeit is a forgery.
    2. A forgery is a counterfeit.
    The first is pretty much a definition of what a counterfeit is. The second is a bit trickier. If the system in which we try to demonstrate equivalence is closed to only the coins themselves, then the second is true, as there are no forgeries that are not counterfeits.

If you broaden the system to include other numismatic items, you can have forgeries that aren't counterfeits. Two that come to mind are forged signatures on a document and non-period love token or hobo nickel carvings made to look old. In the case of a document is a real document, perhaps containing information as to the nature of the coin (which may be a fabrication), but the signature, presumably there to give the document credibility, is forged. It's not a counterfeit document, it's just BS with a forged signature. In the case of a modern engraving on a Hobo nickel, one could engrave something in the style of Bo or Ron Landis and try to pass it off as such. The coin is not counterfeit, but the artwork is forged.

Edit: An alteration is a genuine coin made to look like another genuine coin. If the date is changed or a mint mark added, I suppose one could consider that to be a forgery, meaning that the second condition (a forgery is a counterfeit) could be false when considering only the coins, making the terms not equivalent.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    JCro57 likes this.
  8. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

My first thought after seeing your title.....

Forgery= Copied document, signature, banknote, works of art, etc..

Counterfeit= Money

9. JCro57

@GDJMSP

But then they wouldn't be a genuine Mint product. Genuine means at all stages it was under the control of the Mint, from the contractors making the planchet sheets up until ejection from the chamber.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

We're getting perilously close to the territory of previous discussions about That One Particular Guy's work. I can tell by the smell of scorched earth.

Kentucky and Dynoking like this.
  11. In counterfeit, an innocent buyer may be deceived by a party trying to add value to the coin which is undeserved, by cleverness only caught by another expert, okay? Now, in the other case, the case of forgery there is the DELIBERATE intention of cheating another out of "his fair value" offering the other person, much less than the bargain...."he thinks he has when he buys such a coin with dreams of pots of gold at Rainbow's End? You THAT LUCKY, mate?

12. JCro57

I will be DANned if I know whom you are speaking of...

Kentucky and Dynoking like this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This makes the 1913 V nickels forgeries.

Martha Lynn, Kentucky and -jeffB like this.
  14. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

No, if it's made by the original mint with genuine dies like that, it becomes a fantasy piece or an unauthorized (but genuine) strike. Those are a separate type of strike, and are collectible in their own right, but are not counterfeits.

A counterfeit has to be made with the intent to deceive someone as if it was a real issued coin. Most fantasy/unauthorized pieces do not meet that condition.

Yeah, but they aren't. I don't think anyone would seriously consider them to be forgeries any more than the 1933 double eagles are forgeries.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  16. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

They are quite similar but come from a different angle.

"In short, forgery is about the act where counterfeit is about the result."

Two Dogs, Dynoking and Jaelus like this.
  17. JCro57

I disagree. The planchet and the dies were created under the control of the Mint. It was the striking of it that was illegal.

-jeffB likes this.
  18. messydesk

It's the other way around. That One Particular Guy gets perilously close to the definitions I explained, but is careful not to cross the line.

Dynoking likes this.
  19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The previous discussions, on the other hand, aren't so careful.

20. messydesk

Yeah, they tend to be mostly emotionally charged train wrecks, so I avoid them.

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes it's an illegal coin that was never authorized by the mint.
    And yet they have not been confiscated as other illegal coins have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted