In memory of my dad

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

My father passed away suddenly on Saturday while I was in Cuba due to a brain hemorrhage. He was only 56 years old. Needless to say, the last few days have been very tough, which is why I haven't posted much since my return from Cuba.

In his memory, I'll post a father and son coin duo (feel free to post your own fathers and sons coins) and I would also like to remind you all that if you still have your fathers around, give them a call and tell them how much you love them, and resolve any unresolved issues, because you never know what life could bring tomorrow. I sure wish I had given him an extra goodbye kiss and hug now before leaving on my trip, but how was I to know then that this would happen?

At least I was blessed to have him in my life for 32 years, and plenty of memories and good life lessons from him that I will carry with me for the rest of my life, and hopefully pass on to my son. My dad, Orlando, was a chemist. He was devoted to his work, his family, and his friends. He taught me the value of honesty and hard work from the time I was a small child. He was also a great and loving grandfather to my son. If the true measure of a man is the legacy he leaves behind, then my dad left a good legacy, because I can honestly say I never knew my dad to have wronged anyone. He lived a simple, straightforward, and hardworking life. I love you dad. Thank you for everything. You will always be in my heart.

Philip I Ant 246AD.jpg
    Philip II denarius.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I deeply regret your loss. I very much understand your grief. Best to you.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wow...sorry.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Lo sineto mucho Que El Senor le conceda la paz eterna.

With deepest regrets Paddy

6. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I am truly sorry for your loss, I lost my Dad suddenly also. I can't post any coins right now, but am thinking of you and your family.

ominus1 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

With sincere sympathy to you Sallent!
    I can relate... my father also passed away from a brain hemorrhage at the young age of 58. This happened 16 years ago and it's always been sad for me and the family. He started me in coin collecting 30 years ago. Here is the first Mint Error that he acquired and he gave to me. I sent it to NGC
    3443070-002+1.JPG
    lam.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  8. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your loss........ :(

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

My father's getting on in years, and we are no longer geographically close. Even if we were, we would no longer pitch and catch, or fly kites or split wood together, as he is less able-bodied now. Still, he loves to fish (far from my favorite activity), so that is what we do whenever I see him. He really enjoys fishing with me now, probably making up for me visibly disliking it when I was a youth. It matters not how I feel about fishing - only how I feel about him.

Like your own, my Dad is a special man . . . no singularly great accomplishments, but a life full of good living, good lessons, and a crowd of good people who all are privileged to know him.

I feel for you now, knowing I'll someday feel the same. Be strong . . . he'd want that.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Alegandron likes this.
  10. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.

My dad died young like yours. It's been 16 years but I still miss him like it was yesterday.

11. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Man, and I thought I was having a tough month. I'm really sorry for your loss. My father passed 33 years ago this month. I still miss him and wish he were around so I could talk to him. Because of my career, I never found the time while he lived. Sad.

In honor or your father, here is a coin with father and sons.
    Augustus 5.jpg

Mikey Zee, GerardV, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Sorry to hear Oz. But it sounds like he lived a great life.
    I can't think of a single father and son coin that I have but I do have this one some nice guy gave me.
    20170112_191757.jpg

14. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss Sallent.

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that Sallant!

My dad is 85 and doing pretty well, just visited with him last weekend. Mom died going on three years ago, that was devastating so I totally understand. My condolences and best wishes to you and your family.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh Sallent. I'm so so sorry. Condolences and peace to you and your family.

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Damn Sallent sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My condolences to you.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So sorry to hear of your loss, my friend. Your Dad was an amazing person. I know he will always live in your heart. Prayers, tonight, for you and your family.........

19. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Thank you all for the kind words, prayers, and thoughts. It means a lot to me. God bless you all.

20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

So sorry to hear of your father's passing. What a shock that must have been. My condolences.

21. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss @Sallent.

I lost Dad almost 9 years ago and Mom this past November.

Sounds like you have many good memories of your dad. Cherish all of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted