In honor of Quarantines- Here is my coin from a Quarantine long ago

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kazuma78, Mar 18, 2020.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

From what I have read, this coin is a 1 year emergency issue struck in Palma, Majorca (Spain) in 1821. It was an emergency issue because the entire island was quarantined due to an outbreak of yellow fever. This is why the legend reads "Salus Populi" (Health to the people). If you have any Quarantine coins, please feel free to post them!

1821 Spain Mallorca AU55 30S obv.JPG 1821 Spain Mallorca AU55 30S Rev.JPG 1821 Spain Mallorca AU55 30S Slab.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Man, that's a nice example, too. Were these struck from fresh flans, or overstruck on older coins like 8-reales?

4. kazuma78

I am guessing they were fresh flans because I cannot see any indication on an under type on it. I think they were likely fresh flans with punches just applied to the coins.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. raingoat

raingoat New Member

You have a very nice piece from Mallorca. I have a few Leper colony coins. Here's one from Venezuela.

1936 Cabo Blanco Leper Colony
    1/2 Bolivar, brass, 20 mm

The Cabo Blanco (white cape) hospital colony was in Maiquetia, along the northern coastal of Venezuela. There are other denominations and locations for the Venezuela Leper pieces, some of which are scarce.

Attached Files:

6. kazuma78

Interesting! I'm sure there are other quarantine pieces through the ages. I'll be interested to see if anyone else posts any.

panzerman likes this.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I have one of those also.

Spa182101.jpg

In addition of have this one. It's 13 years older but aside from the shape they are pretty similar, in my opinion.

Spa180801.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted