In God We Trust (til when?)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Suarez, Jan 26, 2020.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, but it does exclude religions that don't believe in gods, or don't believe "trusting in" them is a good practice.

Bambam8778 and sidestick like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Don't take the bait on that post

bruthajoe likes this.
  4. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

So then the topic should be about including non sectarian values, as opposed to removing sectarian values.
    How could we symbolize such? We have plenty of room to do so... May your fields be bright and free from the distractions of collision and exposure to the relentless influence of time.
    Joe.

5. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

REMOVE IT!
    Perhaps valid 200 years ago but times have changed...

daveydempsey, Bambam8778 and Jeffjay like this.
  6. sidestick

sidestick Member

I'm a little late to this conversation but I would much prefer a more inclusive motto like "E Pluribus Unum" which not only dates to the time of the Founders, but also would cause, in my opinion, no dissension. Unfortunately we'd miss out on interesting discussions such as this one, but perhaps a more inclusive motto would reinforce the fact that we are all in this together.

EWC3, Stevearino and Bambam8778 like this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Like I've already stated, I don't believe in and therefore I don't trust in any god. And yet I don't feel excluded or offended. Life has much more important things going on to concern myself with the minutiae of certain trivialities. In God We Trust on money is one of those trivialities.

Troodon, green18 and furham like this.
  8. baseball21

EVERYTHING and I mean literally EVERYTHING causes dissension. Anything you can think of someone some where hates it or gets upset by it which is why it's so absurd to try and make sure nothing is ever offensive to anyone.

If the most upsetting thing in someones life is the motto on coins, their life is amazing

BuffaloHunter and green18 like this.
  9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,
    and to the Republic for which it stands,
    one Nation under God, (pick your own God or don't pick one, it doesn't matter to me)
    indivisible,
    with liberty and justice for all"

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yes, because adding those two words to the existing Pledge wasn't at all controversial at the time, and no one has complained since about being made to recite it. :rolleyes:

Stevearino and Bambam8778 like this.
  11. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

He
    Here's my two cents. These are American values! If you come from another country, it is NOT up to you to change our American Values! It is your responsibility to embrace our values. It is not up to anyone to come here and change it to their liking. If you don't like what we stand for with our American values, please return to your own country and fix it there...not here!

12. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Trusting in God isn't an American value, it's a religious view.

13. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

whether or not someone trusts in his god is of little legal importance When it comes to US Currency. Simply by making a statement, does not make it accurate. Nor does having a personal choice to use that statement make it legal. Don’t get me wrong, whether or not I believe in this god they are claiming to be in support of our Currency because of the statement again is not the issue. And, if you trust in a god, what does this have to do with our currency? You trust in our laws, your trust in our judicial system, you trust in any number of things. Why aren’t these statements used in place of or even more appropriate than trusting in a god? I personally fail to see any connection between this god and US currency. I wonder if using this term is designed to support the belief that currency is currently being backed or validated by your faith rather than gold or silver?

Bambam8778 likes this.
  14. baseball21

Absolutely nothing to do with that

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I have always liked "Posui Deum Adiutorem Meum", the Latin coin motto used by England's Tudor kings and queens.

It is usually translated as "I have made God my Helper", but can also mean "God help me".

[​IMG]
    England Edward VI Shilling
    Silver, 32 mm, 5.70 gm, struck 1551-1553
    Obverse: Facing crowned bust of king, EDWARD VI D. G. AGL. FRA. Z HIB. REX
    Reverse: Shield of arms over long cross, POSVI DEVM ADIVTOR MEV

:)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  16. louis a bencze

louis a bencze Active Member

Bottom line is, only coin collectors look closely enough at the coin's mottos. I believe those who are making this an issue probably were made aware of it from someone else and feel it is something to create a stink over. As long as it still holds value I dont think anyone will boycott coins or paper money.

Troodon likes this.
  17. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I was thinking back on this thread and it occurred to me (and I think it has been posted already) the move away from coins and currency to cards and even pay by phone/device is actually going to render the discussion moot except to us collectors sooner rather than later unfortunately. With that move the design of money will no longer matter that much as only those of us still purchasing anything from the mint will be seeing it... For everyone else the design they choose for the face of their card or the wallpaper of their phone will be in essence the new face of money.

Edited to Add: Count me in the group that's kinda proud of everyone at CT for being able to keep this discussion going and open for this long, we may not agree but we can discuss in a civil manner... no small feat in today's climate... :)

Stevearino, -jeffB and green18 like this.
  18. baseball21

Not to be a jerk, but to be blunt this discussion is already moot. It's been decided by the courts at the highest level multiple times including recently. There's no discussion other than some people wishing it was different. Short of an act of congress changing it there is no issue with it.

Yes that is the cliff notes version, but the legal issue is settled

19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I have to agree with this. We are all lucky to have the freedom to discuss this topic.

20. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I have heard that the under god part of that oath wasn't added until the Eisenhower administration.

Santinidollar and Islander80-83 like this.
  21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Oh and Jehovah's witnesses will not pledge allegiance to a flag. Only to God.

Draft saved Draft deleted