In God We Trust (til when?)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Suarez, Jan 26, 2020.

1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I agree with Teddy Roosevelt.
    Items mentioning God are used to pay for prostitution, drug deals and murder for hire.

We have always acknowledged the Christian God by the dating on our coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Oh yes you have!

baseball21 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There’s really not an issue once the federal appeals court and Supreme Court have already spoken on the issue in the last 10 months. We could discuss the legal rulings or why people wish it was or wasn’t, but they’ve spoken so there’s no issue of whether or not it can be anymore

5. TheFinn

Utah now has license plates available that have an American flag and "In God We Trust" on them.

So, what happened to State's rights? I pay license fees to the State of Utah, not the Federal Government.

And when someone has plates that have IGWT, and they flip me off or curse me, which god are they referring to?

sidestick and mammoth29 like this.
  6. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Excacty, It just says God, It does not even mention which one. If you want to believe it refers to allah then go ahead, It also does not say Must Trust in God. If your non sectarian then you would not care anyway and it's just words and you think the rest of the world is crazy anyway. If it hasn't happened already, one day someone will complain that the national bird should be removed because it is a vicious bird of prey.

7. TheFinn

It can't be Jesus Christ, because they are not following his teachings.

sidestick and bruthajoe like this.
  8. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

lol

Bambam8778 likes this.
  9. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

All of our best coinage and paper money designs are pre IGWT

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This thread is still up and running?

God of Abraham, God of Ishmael, God of Christians is the same God. Would you have the motto read "In ___we trust"? Then nobody gets offended, right? Frankly I don't know what the friggin' big deal is.

11. green18

Bean counting lib____...........

Cheech9712 and bruthajoe like this.
  12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Here’s why it should stay, imo. In our Parent Country, the right to live, die, work, play, etc was granted by a Lord, a King, etc. What made the US so different, is our rights here are NOT granted by a Lord, or King, or even a governing body. Our basic rights are granted “by our Creator “ (God) and this can never be taken away by any accept Him. The motto is an homage to that end. It’s important that not be forgotten. It’s not a separation of Church and State issue. You need not belong to any church to enjoy these rights. They are NOT granted by the State. Nor a church.

13. green18

But Nate, there are those offended (atheists) who bristle at the thought of a creator......they think the stork brought us........

Cheech9712, PlanoSteve, Evan8 and 2 others like this.
  14. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Wow, we're going here again... surprised this hasn't gotten locked yet lol, it usually does when people try to bring this subject up, since it's impossible to discuss it without politics and/or religion coming up. But I guess it's fair game for now, since the subject's been brought up, so here I go:

I kind of agree with a radio show host who said "I couldn't care less if my money says 'screw you' on it as long as it still spends the same." (For the record I'm a Protestant Christian and politically essentially libertarian.) It doesn't offend me by being there. I don't think there's anything unconstitutional about it being there; the Constitution says Congress may not establish a religion, not that they may not endorse one. Since you can spend the money whether you agree with the sentiment of the motto or not, I don't see how it constitutes establishment. (People who argue that it does I think would arguably have a case if the motto was "Trust In God." But the motto doesn't obligate you to do anything or tell you do anything, so I don't think they have a leg to stand on there. Establishment means there's some sort of legal penalty for choosing not to comply. And well, there isn't any such thing here.)

That being said it wouldn't bother me much if it was removed if it bothers a significant number of people (and by "significant" I mean more than half of eligible US voters) decided they'd rather it not be there.

So count me as either "weak support keeping it" or "indifferent," kind of leaning to the latter.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    bruthajoe likes this.
  15. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Just my humble opinion, our coins & notes (and government) should not promote any religion or race.

harrync, Bambam8778 and sidestick like this.
  16. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Most believe we evolved. Man created Gods.

harrync, Bambam8778 and sidestick like this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It compels you to lie by issuing a statement that you don't believe. "In God We Trust" -- so, do you trust in God, or are you not one of US?

Cheech9712, harrync and Bambam8778 like this.
  18. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Citation needed. Every poll I've ever seen on the subject suggests that about 95% of the world population believes in some form of supreme being. Perhaps it's dropping these days, but it's definitely not less than half yet.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  19. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

It does not compel you do any such thing. You can spend the money without reading, looking at, or agreeing with the motto on the money, with no penalty for choosing not to do such things. It is the printer of the statement making that statement, not you. If it said "We Like Chocolate" and you don't like chocolate, you can spend the money just the same as anyone who likes chocolate can.

John Skelton and baseball21 like this.
  20. -jeffB

And as long as this thread has been granted special dispensation, I'll weigh in: my own religious upbringing made it VERY clear that the Creator's name was not something to be slung around casually. Every time I see it on a trivially-denominated coin, I see it being cheapened, diminished, made less likely to command attention and respect. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why people raised in Christian traditions think it's a good idea to stamp the Supreme Being's name on pocket change.

Stevearino and sidestick like this.
  21. -jeffB

So, you agree that it's appropriate to overlook or ignore His name? To treat it as something insignificant, not worthy of consideration?

sidestick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted