In God We Trust (til when?)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Suarez, Jan 26, 2020.

1. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

I think this subject is mostly political than anything else. I'll sit this one out

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Easily answered, as the two are indeed different.

Attending public school is mandatory, regardless of religious affiliation, if any, or none at all. Time set aside for prayer is time dedicated to an activity in which some may wish not to participate. School children did not opt to be in that setting and are, in effect, a captive audience.

Using cash isn't forced upon you . . . moreover, reading those itty-bitty, inconspicuous letters on coins and bills isn't either . . . those are choices made of your own free will.

If one has no choice but to give his / her time / attention to the beliefs of another because he / she is a captive audience, that is wrong, and should be interpreted as unconstitutional. It is not wrong, and should not be considered unconstitutional if one is freely able to turn the other cheek without suffering the loss of money, time or productivity.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

My opinion is that the people who care about this subject are either collectors, or an insignificant minority who care about removing any mention of God, first from outside the Bible, and eventually from within it.

Because mass media gets rich off of covering controversy, it encourages the ‘outrage brigade’ cited by @baseball21, no matter the cause (as long as it doesn’t criticize the media, of course).

The numbers of the outrage brigade, all perceived as wanting to eliminate IGWT are significant, not because of this issue in particular, but because the brigade comprises many special interest groups . . . freedom of religion, reproductive rights, sexual identity, environmental protection, gun control and other causes, all banded together in a common cause. That cause is the enrichment of the media moguls, whether the brigade is aware of their manipulation or not.

As long as the media gets its daily fodder, it cares not what pawns deliver it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    frankjg and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Incorrect in my own case. I am taking an interest in it because I consider historical studies a two way street. I try to understand the past by looking at the present, but also, the present by looking at the past.

Consider the well know topic "the decline and fall of Rome" . In the 18th century Gibbon was the focus of popular discussion - concerning the political influence of religious matters. When I was young Toynbee was still in popular vogue, a different thesis, but very much about the role of politics and religion in culture.

In principle we are better placed to discuss these matters today. Firstly (and coins are intimately involved), since we know much more about 4th century Roman hyper-inflation. Secondly because way more people 'benefit' from a higher education than ever before.

Paradoxically, it is not happening. Popular discussion of such matters seems to be rudimentary or non existent, and attempts to initiate it ignored or frowned on.

@ToughCOINS is on the right track here I think, but there is more at stake than just media wealth. A kind of cultural poverty is the other side of exactly the same coin.

Rob T

6. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

I often wonder why we removed lady liberty and the Indians and replaced them all with presidents?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That part's easy - popularity. It started with Lincoln and grew from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted