In general, what's a $1 Silver Certificate worth?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by dave_in_delaware, Dec 3, 2016.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

I was at my semi-local estate sales/cleanout company's store today, and they had a $1 silver certificate in the case. This is the first time I've seen one there, and I *almost* grabbed it, but I don't really know anything about them, which is why I left it there.

I can't remember what year it was, and the SN wasn't anything low or special, but in general, how much should I expect to spend on a $1 silver certificate?

Is it only worth $1? Or 2x or 3x face? Or $50?

I know it's easier to answer knowing the year, but I really can't remember.

Can this "worth" question even be answered in general terms, independent of year?

Any input would be great. Sorry for the lack of info.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

A circulated common note is only worth a couple dollars.

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

@CamaroDMD is probably 100% correct.

The vast majority of $1 SC's are worth very little over face value.
    But, there are exceptions. We would need to know the series (year) and the serial number with prefix and suffix letters, and last, the general condition to accurately answer your question.

5. dave_in_delaware

Yeah, sorry for the vague question. I know more info is needed to accurately answer my question.

I'll have to go back and get more info.

Thanks for the answers so far though!

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

About 95% of the SC's that you will ever see for sale in public are pretty common and worn pieces only worth maybe a quarter over face value. That said, I have had occasion to find star notes and crisp uncirculated notes a few times in banks.

7. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

it Depends the newer ones (1957) are worth around 2 to 5 dollars.

8. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

How about 1935 series? Is there any kind of general scale as far as value goes?

9. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Around the same price but if it is a Hawaii note then about 20 to 100 dollars. If it is a Star Hawaii Note then your talking a big amount
    Probably
    1000 dollars.

Mad Stax likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Many people have a concept that any "silver certificate" in any shape is worth lots of money.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

How true, but sadly not the case especially the 1957 Series have several crisp star notes worth generally under $20

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The Series 1935-G and 1935-H series were printed in the Kennedy administration - so not much.

13. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. I believe those are the ones I have laying around somewhere

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Let's all agree that the OP's original question was a little vague, and additional information is needed........kinda like asking; How much is my car worth and not knowing the year, make, model, mileage, or condition.

15. dave_in_delaware

Yes, this OP knows that. Sorry my memory isn't like it used to be.

I just called the store and asked about it. He said he thinks it's a 1956, so I guess he didn't actually go and look at it. I'm thinking he meant 1957? No significance to the SN. It's not in perfect condition, either. A little wrinkled and worn. He said that's why he's "only asking $2 for it."

I think I'll pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted