In a game of pog...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinneseur, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Coinneseur

Coinneseur Active Member

What weapons from your coin collection will you bring to the battle ? Here is what my pog breaking line up roster would look like... image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry... I played pogs as a kid, but with pogs. Is there some sort of numismatic thing where we use coins and pretend they are pogs? I might just not be "in" on this idea, if it's a little more widespread. If it's not more widespread, I think you're going to have to explain what qualifies as a "pog" and what would make one coin better than another for that purpose.

Coinneseur likes this.
  4. Coinneseur

Coinneseur Active Member

Just for fun sir... thinking back of the good old days made me come up with the post. And the advantages I would have had if I were to have these coins I just posted back in my pog days... Just thinking of the weight some of my bigger coins have, would have been very useful to me back then, and the pressure you put on your rival with a perfectly laid roster would have been awesome, just the thought of their sour faces when you bust out with a line up... lol just a thought, a mere memory onced lived again in the form of digital/virtual reality, that I know I share with a few coinagers... cheers

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Well then, here's one I'd lay down that would very likely give them the chills. Lusitania Medal from Goetz.

IMG_7124-horz.jpg

Ignore the blue hue, that's from laying it on my table cloth.

Coinneseur likes this.
  6. Coinneseur

Coinneseur Active Member

That is one of the most awesome coins I had ever seen here, I mean it is up there with the deacon’s roman coins... it is indeed unique and beautiful, and intimidating enough, that I would probably fold and hand you whatever you wanted to play me for... hahahah

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

This German Notgeld from Menden would be a good one as well. Plus you can find bargain examples for a few bucks (it's a skeleton of a cave bear that may have been excavated in the area)
    [​IMG]

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I will only accept certified and slabbed pogs.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

So........
    For those of you who actually played with pogs, how old are you ??? I have bought and sold collections of them and i actually have a tube full of them in my garage as we speak. Somehow I had never even heard of these until about 5 years ago. Im 39 y.o. so just wondering if im too old or too young to have played. Admittedly, i went from streetfigher to mortal kombat to killer instinct on nintendo, straight into chasing females when i was a teenager so..... maybe thats why i never played (?)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

You are probably a couple years too old to have been playing with pogs. They were super popular when I was in mid-grade school and I am in my early 30s. I couldn't fathom banging my coins together, even imaginatively; however, I might chuck this chunk of silver around:
    1972-HamiltonMint-WhistlersMother-obv.jpg 1972-HamiltonMint-WhistlersMother-rev.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. heavycam.monstervam

Yea uh.... i hope you got that for melt:facepalm:
    I shouldnt have stared directly into the old womans face:banghead: burnt image

12. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

It came to me thru inheritance. I only photo'd it because I meant to put it up on ebay around mother's day but done forgot. So it sits till next year...

13. heavycam.monstervam

I guess she aint THAT bad, probably cooked a mean pancake and bacon anyway.:hungry:

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The game of Pog was originally played with the old cardboard milk bottle caps, of which few of us probably remember first hand.

For those too young to remember, there used to be something called the Milkman. Every morning they would make their rounds to their customers picking up the empty milk bottles from the day before and leaving full ones. If you didn't want one you would leave a note in the bottle and he would check again the next day. You would also leave you payment in the bottle.

These were wide mouth glass bottles with a groove just inside the opening. They would be sealed to prevent spillage with a cardboard disk, oftem printed with advertising for the dairy. That was how it was done through maybe the late fifties when they started using a crimped aluminum cap. (Old milk bottles with caps)
    [​IMG]
    some example of bottle caps
    [​IMG]

Anyway those cardboard disks were what was used for the game of Pog. Each player would put their disks (or Pogs) face down and then hit them with a large disk something about the size of a hockey puck (A Slammer). The idea was to try to flip them over. If you did you got to keep the disk that you filpped. They person withthe most disks after they were all flipped was the winner.

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted