"Impulse Gold"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marsden, Jan 27, 2023.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The idea of getting a coin slabbed is two fold, first by getting a nice coin slabbed
    you increase its value, also your protecting as well, but I think most collectors would
    have a coin at least encapsulated with a snap holder.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You would enjoy Roger Burdette's book on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles.....Bower's book on Liberty Head and Saint-Gaudens DEs (The Whitman Red Book)....and the latest edition of the Morgan Silver Dollar Red Book. And finally, for a really in-depth analysis of the year-by-year happenings in finance as seen through the eyes of a Liberty Head Double Eagle...buy Bower's book on Liberty Head Double Eagles (if you can find it).

Lots of talk about the Panics and other financial happenings.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Marsden likes this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Non PVC flips work quite well for raw coins, and the storage issue is a big plus. Slabs take up a lot of room in a safe deposit box.

The worst offenders are the huge slabs that encase medals. I really dislike those things. They are great for preventing edge bumps from dropping the piece, but it only takes 10 or less of them to fill a fair sized box.

5. mpcusa

When you consider GOLD coins a slab box contains between 20 and 25 slots
    so if you do the math that’s allot of dollars so value for value its an acceptable trade off now Silver is another
    thing.

Marsden likes this.
  6. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Okay, it's in hand as of today. Unfortunately, I'm disappointed. There's an enormous, bizarre rub along the entirety of the focal area of the left obverse field. Seems to me it didn't show in the listing photos (posted further below). AITA here, as they say on Reddit? I really hate sending things back and I hardly ever do. But I wouldn't have bought this coin had I known.

Further: doesn't this appear weird to anyone else? The mark seems silvery toward the top--how does that happen? (At least it's not likely counterfeit, as who would do that when faking!) Separately, shouldn't this have prevented the premium grade? The reverse looks fine BTW. TIA for useful opinions.

DSCN8247.JPG DSCN8230.JPG DSCN8233.JPG DSCN8240.JPG DSCN8243.JPG

7. Marsden

Listing photos. There's certainly a hint of it in the third pic, but nowhere near the actuality of it IMHO. Yeah the listing images are weak but I thought I could trust the AU58. A grade which, in my opinion, shouldn't be given lightly.

1s-l1600.jpg 2s-l1600.jpg 3s-l1600.jpg 4s-l1600.jpg

8. mpcusa

It doesn't even look like the same coin, the rub marks look substantially worse
    in the first pics, I have many GOLD A/U coins and usually there not as bright as
    M/S coins but many have problems scratches and rub marks all the way thru 65
    I usually buy on appearance not the grade but you can usually find some good ones
    in the A/U grade, as far as returning it thats up to you, but for me it would already
    be heading on a truck back to where it came from, just not an appealing coin.

9. Marsden

Thanks, that pretty much confirms my feeling. Of course the seller doesn't accept returns, so there will be some fun involved. Yes I know the drill.

10. mpcusa

Did you buy it on ebay ? its not as described so even if it says no returns
    he still has to make a full refund :)

11. Marsden

Yeah, that's what I meant by "I know the drill."

It may involve educating the seller.

And it may be eBay doing that.

mpcusa likes this.
  12. mpcusa

as you can see pictures can be deceptive, angle, lighting and how you hold the camera can all play major rolls in how the pics come out, some times sellers
    will try and take pics that dont show allot of faults which can be easy to do
    maybe he was hoping you wouldn't notice...

Marsden likes this.
  13. Marsden

Very right, and this seller (she, btw, though I think it's a team) did post four pics but as seen above they weren't great pics. She did make a point in the listing of saying she doesn't know much about these, but she sells a lot of gold coins, along with silver coins, occult matter, jewelry, dolls, pez dispensers, what have you. She included pez and bubble gum in the package for some reason. I don't even know what pez is.

This wasn't a terribly expensive coin, but I often see four- and five-figure coins selling with just two photos (one of each side). I can never figure out how that works. I gambled and lost on this coin, but frankly I'm still surprised that it got an AU58 grade. Stranger things have happened, though.

PS: She's now listed another such coin, though with many more photos. Unfortunately they're not terribly clear either.

14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

IMO anyone who puts coins up for auction with pictures like she posted is deliberately trying to hide something. I wouldn't place a bid on any coin displayed with such horrible pictures, even if I was spending your money.

Every picture is taken from a distance, at an angle, poor focus, lots of background, and bad lighting. Someone with as many completed sales as she's got knows how it works. She's playing games with her listings. And she's succeeding.

There isn't an ice cubes chance in hell I'd be keeping that coin. It is an obvious misrepresentation of a poor eye appeal coin. You should have zero trouble contesting that coin with eBay. Spend your money elsewhere next time. She doesn't deserve your hard earned cash.

Marsden likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted