Improper Alloy Mix?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dookie4fun, Feb 8, 2016.

1. dookie4fun

dookie4fun New Member

My gf found this in a take a penny/leave a penny when we were getting food the other night. Since the weight is so off would this be the only answer or is there something else going on?

20160208_091401.jpg 20160208_094058.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

The weight is perfectly normal for coppers cents, which weigh 3.11 grams. You may have gotten the weight confused with newer zinc cents (made after 1982) which have a weight of 2.5 grams. The coins looks like environmental damage to me, probably spent some time in a moist/humid environment.

Markus1959 likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Looks like staining. Impropper mix coins appear as streaks not "blob puddles" due to rolling the thick stock down to thinner planchet thickness

Think of say pie dough. If you take the blob of dough and lightly mix in a different color dough then roll it out to pie crust thickness you get a streak pattern of the 2 different colors, not blobs.

Markus1959 and coinman1234 like this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Something on the coins surface as you can see it has worn off on Lincoln's shoulder area.

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

This is not entirely true. Alloy mix USUALLY appears as streaks.

IMO, based on what appears to be a tiny bit of lamination on the coat and head, this IS an improperly mixed alloy coin and VERY UNUSUAL. I want it. :greedy:

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

And this refutes my opinion backed up with good reasons. Note how the entire coin is a normal color and the dark color "lays" on the surface - sort of in a "flow" pattern.

The OP is the only one who can decide which opinion is correct. If there is no peeling at all, Markus is correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted