Imitation coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pap4tinker, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

I was looking at some standing liberty quarters and thinking a decent looking one is too much for me. So I wanted to find some fake ones or imitations to see what they cost. I can't figure out if anyone makes them for my situation. Of course I don't want one being sold as real to be fake, so I hope to nip those comments in the butt. Anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Although I don't advocate buying counterfeit coins because there is no control over who may try to resell them if they should leave your hands, the only source I can think of where the counterfeit coins are not marked with "COPY" or "REPLICA" is China.

Since I don't favor such an idea, I will say no more.

Chris

Dave Waterstraat and Ericred like this.
  4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

5. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Pap4tinker likes this.
  6. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

7. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

8. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Here is one we sold a while back for 99 cents + shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

longnine009 likes this.
  9. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Just gonna throw this out there, but you can buy a pretty decent standing liberty for the price of that replica. The replica is 36, here is the real, slabbed even:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standing-Li...589885?hash=item43f0d96cfd:g:bmAAAOSw-4BXb~uL

Not trying to tell you how to collect, but I don't see the appeal of buying a replica for the same price as you can get a decent example of the actual coin. If you were talking about an electrotype of something truly rare, like a 93 strawberry leaf cent, than I would kind of understand. Or a display case with electrotypes from the British museum of Greek silver because you don't want to actually display the real ones. But the standing liberty coins are not expensive coins. And if you are unhappy buying a nice xf/vf coin after looking at the $300 mint state coins, but your budget doesn't allow the mint state, then join the club. We would all like to buy nicer coins than our budget allows, these trade offs are part of collecting and something we all deal with.

dwhiz, Pap4tinker and Ericred like this.
  10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Dangerous thinking right there

dot dot dots added to notate that this is a snippet of a larger post.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree! I could have listed one other source, but that would have opened a new can of worms. The point is that the OP was looking for sources and didn't want a flame war to start about the legality or illegality of such items.

FWIW, I understand that "dot, dot, dot" means you are extracting part of my original post. I've often used this technique, but there are others, here, who resent it. Why? I don't know!

Chris

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I do it often as well. It's perfectly reasonable and acceptable as far as I'm concerned, so if someone doesn't like it, that's their problem.

It shouldn't have to turn into a flame war though; it's what the man does no matter what any of the fanboys wish to call it. The idea that some copies/imitations are perfectly acceptable while others are not is wholly ridiculous. What's good for the goose....

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Call them want you want: replicas, copies or counterfeits. All are poison for the hobby.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't think anyone here minds if someone makes and sells copies/imitations that are properly marked in accordance to the HPA. It is people who market piece that are NOT legal under the HPA we get worked up about. Because even it they sell them AS copies, we know that somewhere, some day they will be sold as genuine.

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I looked at those web sites. The prices seem pretty high. I see the same examples all the time for 1-3 dollars each at the flee market. Sure, the ones I see are never silver, pure copper, or pure nickel, but they have the same whacky look in my opinion

16. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Being new to collecting I guess-I never thought of myself as a collector til I cleaned out my safe and emptied all my stashes and started organizing everthing that I got really serious. Long story short, it makes me uncomfortable to think I could be examining a slabbed coin thats not marked copy and really checking it out to make sure Its not a fake and I would get screwed. Look how well china counterfeits our paper money, I've read that our government is having a hard time picking it out d/t all of china's gov resources being put to use. I guess its who you deal with.

17. PAEMT

PAEMT StreetMedic

I just deal with the gaps, sliders and low ball coins and holes in the collection. It gives me something to look forward to and work towards. There is always the "... someday when I have the money".

Ericred likes this.
  18. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Makes sense, I wish I had a few coins but cant afford them so you guys are right it would fill what's missing til I can get what I want

Draft saved Draft deleted