Images of Coins - Scanner/USB Microscope

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Patrick Shaw, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Patrick Shaw

Patrick Shaw New Member

I apologize as I imagine variations of this question have been asked many times here before.

My dad is a big fan of buying and selling coins on ebay. He's currently using a very old flatbed scanner that is giving him poor images.

I'd like to get him something new to help him get better images. The obvious answer here is a camera (as I've read many places that cameras are best), but he has MS, so using a camera is more or less out of the question (holding the camera and taking the image would be pretty difficult).

I've done a fair amount of research, and became intrigued with the idea of a USB Microscope. Ideally, I'd find one that allowed you to adjust the focus via the software (rather than have to adjust it on the microscope itself).

I was wondering if anyone has had success with scanners or a USB Microscope. If you have specific models that work well for you, that'd be ideal.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

I really don't recommend a USB microscope for taking the images because some coins are just too large. Granted, a camera would be best, but even the best photographers need to use a tripod or a copy stand to eliminate camera movement. Another alternative would be to use one of the newer model smart phones. A lot of them take really good images, and if you use the CT search function, you can find plenty of threads that discuss them.

Chris

PS. One other alternative, is that you can get involved with your dad and learn how to take the photos, yourself. Just thinking!

Draft saved Draft deleted