image reference on us coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Youngmaster, May 5, 2020.

1. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

I look at coins and think theres something off about that one and turns out they are the same as the others. So i need something that i can look at and make sure its the way its suppose to look with comparison. I asking if you know how I can compare it with a perfect example? This goes for all coins im starting with pennies. Thanks!!!

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Compare it for what reason? Why? You're not making any sense. ~ Chris

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It is better just to compare with two or three other coins. Otherwise you could purchase a PF-70 example of every coin you want to study.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

How long have you been collecting?

To start buy the RED BOOK. An Important book for coin collectors.
    2021.PNG

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Don't worry too much about slight differences between coins. Different dies, different die states, some better struck than others, circulation damage. You would have a hard time finding two identical coins.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The Redbook is an absolute must own book - and is the perfect answer to your question.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You might try this online source

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/us

When you get there you will find a coinfacts to click that gives information and nice photos of a particular type of coin. Alsp in the left column you can click on PHOTOGRADE with photos to see how to grade specific types of coins , a price guide, etc. ( Its a commercial company, so they strongly favor PCGS date.

Jim

10. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

I have the red book. I guess I just wanted to know what the differences are from each coin years. Whats different and what they should look like and if they dont look the way they are supposed to look thus for making me better at identifying a coins worth. thank you for all your responses.

11. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

I guess im just trying to train my eyes on being able to identify coin errors.

12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Both PCGS and NCG have online coin reference sections, which you should learn about and use - even if you aren't going to have the coins slabbed, there is a lot of information there. It's different than paging through the RedBook, but complimentary.

Youngmaster likes this.
  13. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

I appreciate that I will do that thanks!!!

14. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

Sorry if it doesnt make sense. I would like to know how you trained your eye to identify a coins worth and what details u look for.

15. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

yes thanks i have been... The thing is I want clear examples and most are already damaged. Again thanks

16. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

If i do that than I just dont see how i can train the eye to know what to look for? In terms of value how would u go about it to find something good?

17. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Knowledge and experience. Start with the basics, study up on the minting process including how dies are produced. Learn about die varieties. Study up on what causes errors and what happens as dies wear. When you begin to have a good handle on things you will have a start on knowing what differences really matter. If you just go looking for differences in coins you will drive yourself crazy. I doubt you could ever find two coins that are exactly the same.

18. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Get a big monitor... put the Q photo on one side and the KG (Known Good) on the other. Zoom them both in about the same amount and just look back & forth.

You would be surprised how fast differences jump out at you.

It's just like those "spot three differences" games as a kid.

Youngmaster likes this.
  19. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

yes thanks i have learned about plenty im now gearing to learn on spotting the differences im going in depth so i can be able to know what to expect so that if its not that way its expected to be, it can help with finding unique details that dont belong or value. Yes I know lots of work but I just need to know the why.

20. Youngmaster

Youngmaster New Member

yes though i just wanted to know if theres a reference on that i guess it just comes with looking at lots of them... I might have the wrong approach

Draft saved Draft deleted