I'm sure this is a very simple Ebay question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevinfred, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I'm sure this is a very simple Ebay question UPDATE w/ Listing info

I sold an 1888 Morgan last night on ebay and the buyer mailed me this morning and said he wasn't going to honor his purchase... As frustrating as this is - what do I do with ebay? Everything I've found on ebay relates to 'getting the buyer to pay'... He's already said he isn't paying, so how do I convince ebay as such? Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Did he state a reason? Could we see the listing?

4. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Ask him why. But it may be easier to just tell him to return the coin and refund him. Nowadays I find many buyers quick to leave negative feedback on ebay, they love to abuse the system.

5. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

File a non-payer bidder report on him. He'll get a strike. If he accumulates three (?), he won't be able to bid any longer.

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Why do people do this? Just contact ebay. Send them the correspondence. They will remove your fees. You can only leave him a positive but that doesn't stop you from typing anything you want in the feedback.

7. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

There are two ways to go about it. Use the"resolve a problem". You can cancel a sale now, and ebay will send the cancel request to the buyer, and as long as he does(which he should since he doesn't intend to pay) you will get your fees refunded and that will be the end.
    If you want to penalize the buyer like posted above with the unpaid item strike. You will have to wait four days and file an unpaid item claim. Ebay will send the buyer the request to pay, and if he doesn't within a certain time period (a week I think) he will get the strike you will get the fees refunded and he will not be able to leave you neg.
    Easiest way is the first. Just cancel the transaction. It will be done with, you will have your fees refunded, and I'm pretty sure that if for some reason he decides to neg you ebay will remove it. Not sure if he even can.

On your "My ebay landing page, at the top is the Customer support Button. A drop down menu will have a Resolution center button, click on that and it will take you to the Resolve a problem screen. There is four options, one being the cancel a transaction.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There should be a way to cancel the deal. I would also like to know what the buyers reason is.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

This seems to be happening a lot more lately. Perhaps it is a societal thing where people have lost their sense of moral obligation and don't feel bound by their actions anymore. We have witnessed several examples around here lately:

A guy bid on a coin on eBay and won the auction. He spent the money on something else so he couldn't pay for the coin he won in that auction.
    In a more unusual (and controversial) case a member did some sleepbidding on eBay and felt he was not obligated to honor his purchases. (In the end he did honor the largest purchase.)
    In yet another example, a new member announced that he had placed an order for 10 oz. of gold and cancelled the order later that day after the spot priced dropped $21/oz. After being told he would be charged with a market loss fee and cancellation fee of $250 he reported his debit card was lost.

Fewer and fewer people take responsibility for their actions these days. It makes things very frustrating for those of us that do take responsibility for our own actions.

10. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

11. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I would just go ahead and cancel the sale...you'll get your fees back...then add the buyer to your blocked list. That would be my course of action.

12. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I used bigjpst suggestion and it sent the buyer a cancel notice --- I knew there HAD to be an easier way.... Thank you bigjpst and forum!!

Ebay should have "cancel sale" as a primary action, would have been more clear.. or maybe I'm just dumb... who knows.... ;)

13. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

BS excuse IMO. Id just cancel the transaction, get fees back and add to blocked list.

14. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I think you are right, and I think the anonymity of the internet has just about everything to do with it. It's a lot easier to send an email, or text or PM and say sorry, I decided not to pay you, than it is to say it face to face. I was at the Long Beach show yesterday, walking around with a pocketful of money(that I owed an auction company). The lots I won were supposed to be picked up at the show, and they were not there several hours after I got there. Man that was rough. But it was not my money to spend anymore, and my desire to keep up my reputation for paying my bills was more important than all the great coins I saw.

To the OP,
    glad you found the cancel sale info. Unfortunately if you sell on ebay for any length of time you will learn all kinds of stuff that most buyers never need to learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted