I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bditto39, Jun 20, 2020.

1. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

I am a little confused on this one, so I would like some help diagnosing the damage. It's too small, so dryer coin, right? But it's under weight so acid right? But what is tripping me up is the ridges that make it look like a lamination error...what's up with that? What do you think @paddyman98 ?
    20200619_231907.jpg 20200619_231916.jpg 20200619_232000.jpg 20200619_232141.jpg 20200619_232313.jpg

Attached Files:

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinDoctorYT

CoinDoctorYT Well-Known Member

This coin was put in a tumbler. Thats why it has that weird wear. The cracking, however, I have no clue.

Stevearino likes this.
  4. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

Makes sense of the overall damage.

Stevearino and CoinDoctorYT like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Definitely Damaged. That Lamination look is not a lamination. Just a strange effect it akes when tumbled as stated.

Here is some great information with a picture of a Nickel with the same effect -
    http://www.error-ref.com/dryer-coins/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Stevearino and bditto39 like this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Its acid....
    Take a copper cent ,place a drop of acid dead center....as it eats away at the medal it will spread....that lip or what youre call lamination isnt it is where the outer rim of the acid stoped. Or was neutralized.
    You can see the same effects on the reverse.

7. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

That analogue caliper is a nice piece!

8. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

Thanks! I figured it would have something to do with the overall damage but I didn't know for sure.
    That could make sense of it too, but the tumbling seems to make sense of the overall damage as well. Either way someone tortured Mr. Lincoln here.

9. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

Thanks! I am an ammunition reloader as well, so the scale and calipers cross over from that hobby.
    In fact, I think a good reloading scale like this is probably thd best for coins as it will measure to 5/1000 of a gram fairly accurately and only costs about $40. Reloading scales have to be precise to at least 1/10 of a grain for safe powder measurement, so the quality is there for a decent price for coin collectors as well.

10. nuMRmatist

What calibers do you re-load ? I just gave up about 3,000 pieces of once-fired brass (for postage) ; probably got a few hundred more by now ...

Single stage loader ? Or progressive ?

11. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

I have two older presses, one single and one manual progressive. I also have a progressive shotgun press.

57757269840__FCDD4DD2-0F7B-41B8-A008-9DE53D7DCBBA.JPG 20200620_100603.jpg

I reload .223, .243, .30-30, 9mm, .300 AAC, and soon to add .308 and .358 Win.

Do you reload? What calibers do you shoot?

nuMRmatist likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Depending an the pressure applied to the edge of the coin in the dry drum or whatever it is stuck in, it is possible for the edge to develop a thin foil like fin that can get folded over onto the surface of the coin and conform to the surface of the lettering. So yes this is a form of dryer coin.

rascal and bditto39 like this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A rock tumbler was used on this coin.

bditto39 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That coin wasnt tumbled acid did 100% of the damage....the rim looks rounded as the medal was eaten away from it.
    I had a lg cent one time that was acid dipped unbelievable what it turn out to be...a peice of medal thin as a a finger nail and still showed the details of course eaten away.

bditto39 likes this.
  15. nuMRmatist

Cool bench set-up ! You never see a messy re-loaders bench ! That's a rule NEVER broken too ;)

Always wanted to re-load ; don't know if it's best for rookie to start with single stage or progressive ?

I do 30.30, 30-06, .30 Carbine, 7.62 x 25, .38, .357, and .45 ACP.

Be glad to send brass for postage bditto, but only got a handful of 30.30 right now here. Don't shoot it much ; gramps got it new in about 1914. Serial # by Savage website puts manufacture date on day of, or day after, or 2 days after Titanic sinking. It's still 99%, so it's a safe queen .............................

You like the .300 ? AR platform ? Hot round ? MV for standard load ???

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted