I'm really Peused-off

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carausius, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I dragged myself out of bed at 3:30 this morning to bid live in the Peus auction. First target came to the block and I press the "bid" button...nothing. I press "bid" again...still nothing...and the lot sells WELL below my maximum to some lucky bidder who probably had a full night's sleep. The moral of my story: when bidding live in Peus auctions, you must HOLD the "bid" button until your bid transmits. It would be nice if that instruction appeared on the "bid" button. I had to learn the hard way!

EDIT: I should note that I was using a tablet for this auction, which might be the reason more "hold time" was required to transmit the bid.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Alegandron and rrdenarius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Argh!! How frustrating for you. I've never heard of having to hold the button down. How would you even do that on a computer?

I tuned in to part of Peus but hadn't run the catalog so I turned it off to prevent an hasty purchase. A couple of time I noticed the lot number wasn't changing even though the pictures and descriptions were. Don't know if it was a problem on my end or theirs.

Alegandron and Carausius like this.
  4. Carausius

Good point. I was on a tablet, so maybe that's why longer hold time was required. It might function differently with a mouse.

Theirs. I believe they were having some technical difficulties. They stoped several times early in the sale, I suspect to work out the kinks. I didn't even have access to a "bid" button until the Roman section started, which made me VERY nervous. Fortunately, I had no Greek targets.

In the end, I won 3 of my 4 targets. I guess I shouldn't whine too much.

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  5. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

But then you wouldn't have been able to use that awesome wordplay so I'll allow it.

Oldhoopster and Carausius like this.
  6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have grown accustomed to bidding in live auctions and get frustrated when the links do not work. I bought a piece using my phone when my computer would not open the link because it considered the link not secure.

Carausius likes this.
  7. Carausius

I really should use an actual computer whenever possible for live sales. I've previously had bad luck with cell phones and now with a tablet. I've never had an issue when I've bid live on my desktop.

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Well, I did have a good night's sleep, but then got held-up in traffic so that it took me over an hour to get there, so missed some of the lots I was after. Not so good!

After that, the auction proceeded extremely slowly! by midday the auctioneer was about 300 lots late due to computer problems with the 'Live-bid' feature. The audience was a bit exasperated, I could tell. Some lots had to be called twice due to these problems. They also had a new young guy calling the lots who apparently is just learning the ropes.
    It all made for a very slow sale. Live bidding is a first for Peus so that explains the technical issue they had.
    Due to these delays, the additional lots I was interested in came up for bid quite late in the afternoon, so was I happy when they finally came up so I could bid and get out of there and get home before the late afternoon rush hour.

On the positive side, the auction had some very nice material, specially some Republican denarii from a collection which was put together in the 1960's to 1990's from UK sources. The food was also good!

I did manage to get some of the lots I wanted, and missed out only on a few. Some went quite high, for example lot 395 (L. Livineius Regulus denarius - Syd. 1112, Gladiatorial scene), which I really wanted but had to drop out. Still, I am happy and do not think I overpaid. I will be returning tomorrow for the german states part of the auction.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Alegandron likes this.
  9. Carausius

It was the nice group of Roman Republican material that attracted me, many with nice old provenanced. Once Peus sorted-out their tech issues and I figured-out the source of my bidding problem, the sale went pretty smoothly for me.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I tuned in for that one and had it on my possible bid list... I didn't even bother to bid. I'll have to target a "lesser" version :D

Sounds like attending the live auction was worthwhile for you! Looking forward to seeing the spoils of your war :)

Alegandron and Carausius like this.
  11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I got to view that one close and can confirm it is a real beauty! A well cut portrait, detailed gladiatorial scene and nice old toning (which tends to be difficult to gauge with Peus' pictures). It hammered for 550 euros + 23% which was over my limit as well, unfortunately.
    Still, without being an expert in RR denarii, it was my impression many prices were quite reasonable.

Jwt708 and Carausius like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't think the price was too high at all for that particular coin, given its usual poorly executed state. The 23% fees were painful but it's still well worth it. Too bad I couldn't get it :(

I didn't pay close attention to most of the lots as I waited for ones of interest but it did seem that the hammers weren't too bad. Seems like there has been a relative lull in the prices in recent months, perhaps just a natural seasonal "between big auctions" dip.

Carausius likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I guess there will be no engraved invitation to join the Illuminati in my mailbox, as the phrase "Peus auction" was meaningless to me (thereby rendering the apparent pun unworkable).

I wasn't realistically expecting the Illuminati to be interested in me anyway. Alas.

Carausius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted