I'm now the proud owner of 8 pounds of sixpence

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Yesterday I went to a coin shop for the first time since the pandemic started. I like to look through the world coin value bins to find things to add to/upgrade my collection or resell. I finished going through one bin and the clerk was counting them and said, "I see you like British coins. I have a bunch of sixpence if you'd like to look through those." I said sure, so he brings out this huge tray of sixpence. I started looking through them and they all seemed in good shape, and I've found I can consistently resell sixpence at a profit on eBay, so I decided to ask what it would cost to buy them all. He comes up with a price of $60. Now that's a lot of money for some base metal sixpences, but it's an awful lot of sixpences and I know I'll make a profit, even if it takes a few years. Well, when opportunity knocks you have to seize it. So now I have eight pounds of sixpence. I'll count them later and see how many there are. It's going to take me a long time to sell these off but I think it'll make sense in the end. I know most people don't want to bother with such small potatoes stuff but it does add up. And I should definitely be able to upgrade my collection. IMG_20200805_101934674.jpg IMG_20200805_102007097.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

That's a lot of them.

4. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Excluding the "super rare" if there are any, how many different
    dates could you expect to find in this hoard? I'm guessing they
    are all of the same type.

5. onecenter

onecenter Member

Looks like an awful lot of fun to sort through in that plastic bag!

Hiddendragon likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Assuming they are all base metal 1947 to 1967 then 1952 is the most valuable and scarcest.
    I do see a Shilling left towards the bottom.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  7. Hiddendragon

The series runs 1947 to 1967 but as I've been going through them I've found a few earlier silver ones as well as some non-British coins and shillings that crept in. I'll give an update when I'm done counting.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Hiddendragon

OK, I quickly went through and counted them and pulled out anything that was not a sixpence. I have a total of 1,226 sixpences, along with 7 shillings, 2 florins, 4 silver sixpences, 2 silver Australian sixpences, and two base metal Belgian francs.

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Man after my own heart. If you like one, you LOVE 1200! :) I feel the same about all of my coins.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  10. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Sounds like you paid about the going rate for bulk non-silver sixpences - about double face value. I am just in the process of selling a similar lot for the same price to another dealer here in the UK. As you have discovered they often make 4 times face or more on Ebay or in a retail shop. The silver bits were a happy bonus!

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

So 12 pence to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound

8 * 20 * 2 = 320 sixpence

12. Hiddendragon

I see what you did there. No, 8 pounds in weight of sixpence, not monetary value.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted