I'm moving cross-country...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lembeck13, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Lembeck13

Lembeck13 Active Member

...and would like to have my coin collection follow me. Most of it (~65 lbs.) resides in a bank vault. The remainder (~50 lbs) is secured at home. The relocation will take several days of road-tripping and I do not feel comfortable tossing it all in the back of my vehicle. What are some reliable, secure, and insured alternatives?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

115 lbs. is quite a lot. I wonder how Heritage or Stacks/Bowers ships their consignments to each venue?

Chris

Lembeck13 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Registered mail would be the most reliable way, short of transporting it yourself.

6. cpm9ball

There are two problems with this method. 1) The Hope Diamond doesn't weigh 115 lbs. 2) I doubt that the USPS would question the value of the Hope Diamond, but I doubt the USPS would take the OP's word for the value of his collection.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  7. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

I am doing the same...about 1200 miles in two or three days. I am considering plain unmarked boxes or crummy looking suitcases that I haul into my hotel each night.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I would think value would play a great deal into what your reasonable options are. No offense, but "collection" is pretty vague.... just as a example: some consider their hoard of worth-zero-premium copper cents to be a collection.

NOS and Paul M. like this.
  9. cpm9ball

1,200 miles is easy in less than 20 hours so motel rooms are unnecessary. I've driven from SWFLA to Reno, NV in 33 hours and from SWFLA to Eugene, OR in 45 hours.

Chris

Cascade likes this.
  10. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Trying to fit a 6'7" body into a Penske or U-Haul truck is not easy and makes a 1200 mile drive more difficult than one of average stature might expect. Penske seats do not recline at all.

Mainebill and Paul M. like this.
  11. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

Wow, must of been like the Gumball Rally! Tampa to Reno is 2700-2800 miles, to pull that off in 33 hrs. ya gotta be doin over well over 80mph without ever stopping!!!

12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? Well, I've done the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, so there! :p

Jwt708, Garlicus, Kentucky and 3 others like this.
  13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The value should determine the method . . . it can be transported by UPS / USPS / FEDEX for reasonable cost, but insurance limits apply per package, as do weight limits.

For very high value, consider Brinks, Loomis or Wells Fargo.

If your collection equals that in the Smithsonian, considering buying the house next door instead of moving out of town . . . :joyful:

In any case, make sure the coins are insured.

Lembeck13 and Paul M. like this.
  14. cpm9ball

You can make up a lot of time on the barren stretches of I-40 through Texas and New Mexico where you can find a semi that is heading home. If you know how to draft, they can suck you along at 90mph and substantially increase your fuel mileage. From 10pm to daybreak north on I-75 and west on I-10 in the panhandle of Florida is pretty much the same. The same is also true along the uninhabited stretches between Reno and Eugene through the Modoc Forest of Northern California. The important thing is to time your route so that you reach these stretches during the late-night and early morning hours to avoid most of the traffic and the cops. Obviously, you grab whatever food and coffee you can get when you stop for gas.

Other trips like SWFLA to Atlantic City or Chicago are just a "hop, skip and a jump" in less than one day if you time your departure and speed right. It's like competing in a road rally where the time & distance between rally points is critical.

Chris

Lembeck13 and Cascade like this.
  15. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would be in the unmarked, crummy looking suitcase camp, depending on value. For my better stuff, I might leave it in the SDB until I flew back to where I used to live and could hand carry it back with me.

Lembeck13, Kirkuleez and ToughCOINS like this.
  16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just take all the shelves out of your refrigerator and use it as a "safe" for all your coins. Put 2 ratchet straps on it and stick it in first in the back, er front, of the uhaul then put everything else in... That's what I'd do.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Lembeck13 likes this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I hadn't thought of this . . . get's my nomination for Best Answer.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I made it from Little Rock, AR to Charleston, SC in 11 hours, would have been quicker if that one cop in Charlotte would have learned speed writing.
    No way I would ship my collection when I could haul it myself. No one cares as much about your stuff as you do.

19. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I would be more comfortable driving coast to coast with at least the most valuable portion locked in the trunk, compared to rolling the dice with any shipping service. Packed in with suit cases and totes Idk how it would stand out even if you did open the trunk.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Lembeck13 and Paul M. like this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Talking about how long it takes to drive somewhere reminds me of the movie "Nebraska". A good watch if you haven't seen it.

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Depending on what the collection consists of and, perhaps, excluding anything of higher importance, that's probably not a bad idea, especially for regional moves. However, I don't know if moving say, to the west coast, if I'd drag my refrigerator with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted