I'm looking for info on these gold coins...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TaborTot22, Apr 1, 2015.

1. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

I came across these two gold coins today on Craigslist. Before I contact or offer a price, I would like to get additional information. I couldn't find much online after searching. Thanks for any help.

Here is his blurb about it:

Up for sale is my 1872 gold piece. It's face value is a half dollar. It has been holed as well. This is a very rare coin. There are only 125 of these left in existence and I'd like $115 for it. It's a beautiful coin, my wife and I need the money this week otherwise I'd just keep it. If you have any questions you can email or call me anytime. Thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also,

Up for sale is a George bush gold coin. It's a proof coin and is made from 100 percent 24k gold. It also comes with a coa and I would like $60 for it. If you have any questions at all, you can email or call me anytime. I also have more listings, I have a silver Washington quarter and Mercury dime collection, as well as another gold piece and some seated liberty coins. Thanks for looking

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The California gold is very likely fake, and I don't have any information on the Bush coin besides to say the it is not a product of the US mint. I would stay away from both of them.

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with Kirkuleez. The California fractional gold are written up in the Redbook, but doubt if that will help you much. These pieces are both junk, plus you will have to convince the next owner that they're gold, and, genuine.

By the way, "Certificates of Authenticity" are baloney. If somebody creates fake or doctored gold (or anything else, for that matter), don't you think they would spend another $10 to have some, umm, "Certificates" printed??

silverbullion likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with the other two posters. Both most likely fakes, and most likely not gold either.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

No mint would ever waste perfectly good gold on "Dubya." It's plated.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

8. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your advice. I'm staying away from this. He also has other coins for sale (Mercs, Silver quarters, seated liberty dimes, quarters, halves) but I'm going to stay away. Most are VERY worn and not worth my time to make the drive.

Thanks again.

9. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Your bias is showing. That coin is for dubya's dad.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Right. Aitch Dubya.

C-B-D likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The California factional MIGHT be real, it does a denomination on it but being dated 1872 it comes right at the end if the cal fractional era and by then they were all jewelers souvenirs. The hole also SERIOUSLY hurts it. With the hole I doubt it would be worth more than about $50 at best.

The Bush piece is simply a privately made medallion. Assuming it is actually 24 kt gold at best it is worth spot price. It really has no collectible value. It's probably about a gram or a little less so it may have $35 worth of gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted