I'm looking for Eastern WA and N. Idaho members

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FmrFiatFollower, Aug 4, 2013.

1. FmrFiatFollower

FmrFiatFollower Note-orious & Numismatic

Wanting to get together with a group of fellow Numismatists close to my general area. I've been collecting for a few years and would like to be able to talk with other members locally vs. just over the interwebs.

Could do a group meeting at a Starbucks or something similar...Who knows, just seeing if there is any interest.

P.S. I know that asking may seem a little hokey with all the thefts of coins out there and everything else, I'm aware of these concerns and acknowledge them; hence the reason I would like to do a group meeting in a well lit, safe, and public place.

Cheers

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I am not from your area, but figured I'd offer up the following suggestion . . .

Meeting at a local library seems a fine choice for multiple reasons:
    • It is meant for learning - the same purpose likely intended for your gatherings;
    • Libraries typically have areas set aside for small groups to meet and converse;
    • Onlookers at a library may be more welcoming, and more welcome than those at a coffee shop or other eatery;
    • The library is a good place to access reference material desired in a discussion related to the meeting;
    • The library would probably welcome the contribution of / building of a numismatic library over time. This could even become part of the charter of the group, to seek and contribute additional volumes over time in order to build an exceptional numismatic library to which all can have access.
    Such a choice might be the most rewarding for all concerned.

4. FmrFiatFollower

Thanks for the suggestion...I like it!

ToughCOINS likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

I'm curious to see whether this works out well or not. My local coin club withered on the vine about 20 years ago, and having a full-time job, besides dealing coins virtually full-time, I just can't travel far enough to attend other club meetings. Starting up another club, or resurrecting the old in this manner appeals to me.

Good luck to you.

- Mike

6. FmrFiatFollower

Hello, Mike. I'm hopeful, but lack the youthful optimism I once had.

Are you in the general vicinity? If so, I can keep you posted on the progress I make.

Thanks!

7. ToughCOINS

Yes, I'm in the very general vicinity . . . I live in the United States . . . New Hampshire, I'm afraid.

8. FmrFiatFollower

Very funny, ToughCOINS. "General vicinity" is relative, I guess.

Thanks for pointing it out -- and for the laugh!

Draft saved Draft deleted